Please sign in to post.

Input on itinerary?

Hello - About a year from now I'm planning a trip to England and Belgium. I love to see a lot when I travel, and am in good shape (I'm a single male, traveling alone). I like museums, but don't want to spend all my time in them. Thoughts on my itinerary?

Arrive Saturday morning: York
Sunday: York
Monday: York in morning, then ½ day trip to Hull to visit ancestral sites. Take 6 PM train from Hull to Bath

Tuesday: Bath
Wednesday: Bath
Thursday: Early morning train to London. Some possible sites in London:
1. Globe Theater
2. Houses of Parliament (Big Ben)
3. Buckingham Palace
4. Tower of London
5. Westminister Abbey
6. British Museum
7. St. Paul’s Cathedral
8. Trafalgar Square
9. Kensington Palace
Monday: London, then afternoon train to Bruges, Belgium
Tuesday: Bruges
Wednesday Bruges
Thursday: World War 1 sites, then early evening train to Brussels
Friday: Brussels
Saturday: Fly home from Brussels

Posted by
11130 posts

If you'll be in London during August or Spetember, you can take a tour inside Buckingham Palace while the Queen is in Scotland. Buy tickets through the Royal Trust way in advance. The Gardens can also be added to your ticket..
I would add Churchill's War Rooms, near Big Ben and Westminster Abbey. Buy tickets online in advance.

Posted by
49 posts

Which sites in Hull are you hoping to see in your half day?

Posted by
2023 posts

There is no need to buy Buckingham Palace tickets in advance. We have toured it twice and bought tickets at the kiosk outside the palace-- on street that Royal Mews is on. They will give you a timed entry--we waited no more than 30 minutes each time. They offer a ticket that covers the Palace, the Queen's Gallery, and Royal Mews. The Mews is worth it to see the coaches and stables but the Queen's Gallery was not that interesting. The Churchill War Rooms are a must see.

Posted by
27057 posts

Bath is pretty small; not sure you need 3 nights there. I believe that also applies to Bruges (though I have never been to Belgium). If you're planning side-trips, that's a different story.

Posted by
114 posts

Thanks for the advice about Buckingham Palace and Bath. In Hull, I'm hoping to visit the church where my my 3rd great grandfather was baptized. I'm hoping to find the grave sites of his parents and siblings as well.

Posted by
49 posts

A half day should be fine for seeing the church and to get to the cemetery. I’m assuming it will be one of the two main ones and if it is both are easily visited by bus. There are lots of churches but we have a good bus system.