Please sign in to post.

In Room Fireplaces?: Cotswolds

We are planning our first ever trip to the Cotswolds for October 2022 ....we take our time planning :) With that being said, with the start of Autumn in England, we'd like to stay at a place in the area (looking at Stow on the Wold or Bourton on the Water) that offers fireplaces in the rooms. I've found plenty of pubs that have fireplaces and we will certainly be visiting them. There is just something about being in the countryside, in the UK, in cold weather, sipping hot drinks.... in our room, that really appeals to us. In doing the little bit of research that I've done, I'm beginning to believe that room fireplaces are like Unicorns....they don't exist!

Can any of you fine folks in the know offer any insight, please?


Posted by
3258 posts

Working fireplaces in guest rooms. What could go wrong, and what are their insurance premiums...

Posted by
1245 posts

I think we had an electric heater that looked like a fireplace in a B&B. Remember the British used to burn coal or peat for heat. Open fires used to be set inside a fireplace in the kitchen with a kettle over it. Might be a wood burning open fireplace, in a house that hasn't been updated with a heat stove, but probably not in a bedroom.

Posted by
5533 posts

Have you looked at average temperatures for October? You are more likely to be in shorts than winter woolies.

I can’t imagine that anybody would get insurance for open fires in bedrooms nor would they want guests carrying logs through their establishments or cleaning the ash out every morning. There will be more cottages to rent with fires or wood burners, but you may not need a fire in October.

Posted by
13471 posts

Just for fun, I did some poking around while you're waiting for some firsthand feedback. It appears that they do exist but are quite rare, and my guess is that rooms which have them are going to be quite expensive. Anyway, just as a sample here's an article from a couple years ago with some suggestions, only one of which (#6, The Fish Hotel) is in the Cotswolds, and not in either of the places you listed.

That said, you might have much more to choose from if willing to rent a holiday cottage?
Here in the US, we've stayed in lodge rooms with wood-fueled fireplaces, although it's been quite some time ago. Haven't seen one that wasn't gas-fueled for ages, very likely for safety.

Posted by
69 posts

We stayed at the Barn in Salford, outside of Chipping Norton. It was very clean with a private bathroom and a wood stove for heat. Not fancy but very modern with straight lines, private entrance and very pleasant owners. It’s under AIrBnB. Reasonably priced at approximately 85.a night.

After our trip that year we decided that Oxford would have been a better location for sleeping and could easily have taken day trips from there.

Posted by
9 posts

I probably should have clarified my definition of "fireplace". Usually the rooms we get that have a "fireplace" normally have fireplace inserts so there's no actual flame but they heat the room just as well. Snarky comments aside, I appreciate everyone's feedback and will refine my search appropriately. THANKS!

Posted by
4654 posts

I haven't stayed at any hotel in the UK, or elsewhere, that has an open fire or stove in the bedroom and I can't imagine that many exist. I've stayed in a number of cottages in the UK that have had open fires or woodburning stoves in the lounge.

Of the hotels I have stayed in that have had a fireplace in the room (old buildings) the fireplace has never been used to house any heating element or artificial one, they have simply been closed up and the surround left.

Posted by
1850 posts

I’m following just out of curiosity because my first thought when reading the OP was that as I recall, British bathrooms don’t even have the light switches inside the bathroom…they are on the wall outside the bathroom door…and that our B&B host teased us for having such dangerous situations here in the US. Now I’m being told, not for the first time, that I’m not remembering correctly. ?? Safe travels and happy holidays to all.

Posted by
8276 posts

I was in England, including the Cotswolds, from 10/1 to 10/8 in 2019 and it was cold and rainy the whole time. Just sayin’.

Posted by
212 posts

In houses the switch for the main light in a bathroom is usually a pull cord in the room
in hotels normally a wall switch just outside the room
There are regulations on the type and location of electrical fittings in bathrooms in UK

Posted by
4654 posts

as I recall, British bathrooms don’t even have the light switches inside the bathroom…they are on the wall outside the bathroom door

Many British bathrooms have a pullcord light switch inside the room. This removes the risk of flicking a switch with wet hands which is a very risky practice. My house has either switches on the outside wall beside the door (no big deal to switch on when entering the room) or pullcords in my bathrooms and toilets. The only downside of having the switch outside the room is when you have mischevious kids who like to switch the light off when you're midway through your ablutions, although to be fair I did teach them that trick!

Posted by
1850 posts

Thanks for the replies. And always fun to see what the kids actually did listen to.

Posted by
13049 posts

The Fish Hotel in the Cotswolds (near Broadway) is named in the link that Kathy posted, listing 12 UK hotels with in-room fireplaces. .

I went to the website and found the room with a wood-fired stove in the room among the “larger suites”.

It is around 300-350 GBP a night. More modern than “cozy” looking, but very nice.

Posted by
171 posts

"they are on the wall outside the bathroom door…and that our B&B host teased us for having such dangerous situations here in the US. Now I’m being told, not for the first time, that I’m not remembering correctly. ?"

Yes or as JC notes above a pull cord. Dangerous condition in the US. NO, not at all. Just a lack of understanding by your B & B Hosts and that is fine; not everyone out there is an electrical engineer. US uses 110 volt lines with dedicated power lines/circuits, circuit breakers and modern switches are water tight with local bath power outlets using GFCI (ground-fault circuit-interrupter) protection. In England they use 220 volt lines (cheaper for the power company to deliver) which provides a much more dangerous level of current (that statement being greatly (I mean Greatly) simplified as amps control over volts but volts provide the punch and your body can better resist 110 then 220.). But this is not the place to discuss which system provides better convenience and protection....

Posted by
658 posts

Interesting comment by dplaunderville. I know we're getting off topic, but it begs the question if GFCI outlets are common in the U.K. I imagine so, but can't recall seeing any—although I might just not recognize their form factor. BTW, I currently live in a 250+ year old house in RI with eight fireplaces (3 currently safe to use). The idea of staying in a "quaint" B&B in the Cotswolds with a fireplace is very appealing to me.

Posted by
27709 posts

the circuit breaker for specific locations in the house will be a ground fault interrupter but this will be on the consumer unit in the garage or wherever, so there is no obvious difference at the wall socket. Unless it is your house or building you won't know...

Posted by
36 posts

On topic, I would be expect property owners would avoid fireplaces in rooms they rent out due to the risk of accidents and insurance purposes.
Would you actually need one? October can herald the start of winter or hang on to the last throws of summer. The weather can be cold and wet or mild and sunny.
I'm not sure how a 220v can be cheaper to supply than a 110v one. We have had "Ground fault devices" for years. We call them Residual current circuit breakers (RCCBs) and are normally in the consumer unit (fusebox) where they protect a number of circuits.