We have a trip scheduled in London the last week of May. My property I booked is through Booking.com. I have been told by most people to plan on not going because of the virus. I contacted the property manager/owner and gave them heads up that we will not be coming due to this situation. I wanted to give them plenty of notice as a courtesy. They responded that they will not refund us the cancellation fee and that we should cancel through Booking.com and loose the deposit. This is the property:
We have already been told by Highclere Castle that they cancelled our reservation and refunded us immediately. Our Airline hasn't cancelled our flight yet but their website warns us that it probably will be cancelled as they are planning only flying one flight in and out of England a day and even if the flight isn't cancelled, with the current travel restrictions, we probably will be advised not to fly. So basically...we are planning that more than likely our trip will be cancelled because the sites will be closed/travel restrictions going to and from the UK/ Need to be quarantined in either London or Miami which will take longer than our entire time in London/ Our reserved trains (from London to Paris) will more than likely be cancelled/ Etc....
I called Booking.com but they will not even take calls from people unless the trip is less than 30 days out (I believe). How would you guys handle the situation? Would you cancel now with Booking.com or would you wait until May 1st when they will actually take my call and I can speak to someone? Would you call the CC now and file a dispute or wait until I cancel my trip through Booking.com and then show the CC company that I didn't get my deposit.? Any other ideas?