Please sign in to post.

Hotels in London, under 100 GBPs.. clean and central

Hello, staying 3 nights in London end of June.. need a double room , with private ensuite.. for under 100 or so GBPs. Furniture can be old and worn as long as bed is comfy and bathroom is clean! Central location ideal.

Thanks so much.

Posted by
3 posts

We have used Premier Inns as of late. Stayed at the edge of London, in Essex then went into London by Tube.
Premier Inn has lots of Sales and had just had 25 and 29 Pound rooms for winter and into the Spring. WE have never had a bad stay with this company and they have a Good Night's Sleep Guarantee.
Barbara K.

Posted by
114 posts

We were looking at Premier Inns too, but I did not see any mention of breakfast being included in the price. To us, breakfast is an important part of the hotel stay. Or at least we really came to appreciate it when we visited Italy!

Posted by
11507 posts

Ah there we differ.. I have had hotel breakfasts if they are included in rate, but its not the norm in many places in Europe Cheryl, often its an added fee. We usually do not take it if its not included as we find we enjoy walking out and finding a much cheaper ( usually ) breakfast off the hotel site. We enjoy the variety too.

I will look at the Premier Inns.. thanks.

Posted by
2 posts

We are also looking, and considering Premier Inn Euston and Kings Cross for April/May. Unfortunately, the prices aren’t quite that low at those times.

There’s also a “Tune Hotel” near this location. Pictures showed small rooms but very clean. Prices are low but everything is extra, including towels. But it’s an option, right?

Other options are all the B&Bs in this area (Euston, St Pancras, Russell Square), but we decided to up our spending a bit. We looked into renting an apartment, but for the area we wanted and our budget, it was slim pickings.

Posted by
1068 posts

We like the Marble Arch Gloucester Place Hotel, right by the Baker Street tube stop, in Marylebone. They always have specials - they do have en suite rooms - and it's clean and comfy and close to pretty much everything.

http://www.marblearch-hotel.com/ They do on-line reservations via their site and are also on Orbitz, Travelocity, TripAdvisor... they run deals both on those booking sites and on their own site. It's also worthwhile to call and see if you can get a deal. They're pretty flexible.

Continental breakfast is included and they will deliver it to your room! They also have larger rooms that include kitchenettes, so you can pick things up at Tesco Express and save money that way.

From their site:

"The Centrally located Marble Arch - Gloucester Place Hotel is a stones throw away from many of London's major Landmarks and Tourist attractions. Guests can easily shop at the glitzy Knightsbridge and Oxford Street, take a stroll along one of the nearby lakes in the Royal Parks as Hyde Park or Regent's Park, enjoy one of the West End shows in Theatre Land or visit Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament and Madame Tussauds.

The Hotel is only a few minutes walk from Marble Arch and Baker Street tube station with both Heathrow and Gatwick airports 30 minutes away. Guests can also save money by using the Airport Bus stop next to the Hotel which serves Stansted and Luton Airports."

Posted by
956 posts

I've used Premier Inns at Heathrow and Gatwick and like them. Their rates do not include breakfast but they do have restaurants with excellent buffet breakfasts. Under 16's eat for free! I find that hotel breakfast tends to be the priciest meal of the day for what you get so it is nice if it is included in the price. Unfortunately the on line menu for the Premier Inn did not include breakfast costs although they did include lunch and dinner.

Posted by
187 posts

I can suggest the Cherry Court Hotel on Hugh Street near Victoria Station. Excellent rates; very clean; and run by a pleasant and helpful family. They did some laundry for us at a reasonable rate one day---left it early one morning and it was folded upon the bed when we returned. They provide a fruit basket with granola bars and juice each day in the room for breakfast or snack.

The rooms are very, very small. Bathroom is ensuite but is also tiny. If you need extra space, you won't be happy with this choice. Book early as it does fill up well in advance.

Posted by
249 posts

Try Lancaster Hall. We have stayed there 4 or 5 times and will do so again. It is basic but clean and they have a very nice breakfast. It is located 2 blocks north of Hyde Park. It was 87 GBP for 2 people last year. I highly recommend it.

Posted by
1446 posts

We stayed at the Premier Inn at London Kensington in June. It was a twin, ensuite room for 100 pounds a night - breakfast was not included. I would stay there again.

Posted by
1950 posts

Pat, have you looked at Luna and Simone? It is family run by two brothers. With the discount for cash (or Rick Steves-can't remember which it was), it is around your price. The neighborhood is great. I enjoyed several local restaurants and a major bus line runs just outside the door. I took the bus one night to the theater and returned with no problem right to the front door. There is no elevator though so I stayed on the ground floor in a twin room which worked well.

Posted by
3843 posts

Try The Lime Tree Hotel on Ebury Street, not far from Victoria Station. If you pay cash, they should give you a price that suits your budget. The price will include breakfast. The rooms are clean and some are small. There is no elevator or lift, just the stairs, so ask for a downstairs room if you don't want to go up and down the stairs. Also entire place is nonsmoking. Hosts are very nice and helpful. We stayed there the first time we were in London. They have recently undergone some redecorating and repainting. Great location with buses, tube and the train station nearby. Steps away from the hotel is a good restaurant that serves reasonably priced (but not cheap) English food, sandwiches, roast dinners, steak, and burgers; The Ebury Restaurant & Wine Bar.

Posted by
5793 posts

Pat, if you don't mine chains two things you can try:

1) Try the Premier Inn site, but when you search put London in the city and check the box "My dates are flexible". This will give you a matrix of locations and prices by night. Last year I lucked out and got two nights at the Premier Inn on Knaresborough Place for 45 GBP a night. On the other hand, some years I have found no special prices. Keep checking back every week or so. As Barbara mentioned, they do have sales periodically. Obviously, I hit one last year; I found the good rate only about 6 weeks before my stay.

For Cheryl, you can pay extra for breakfast at PI if that is important to you. I never bother with breakfast at the hotels in London because they tend to be overpriced for what you get. There are far better places where you can get a good breakfast for less.

2) Priceline. I haven't used it recently, but I've gotten some really good deals in the past by bidding for rooms in London. Usually they have been chains (Millennium Baileys, Park Plaza Victoria, etc.). On the website BiddingForTravel.com, there is a London board where people will post their winning bids. You might take a look there to see what people are getting in London.

Posted by
11507 posts

Well tried alot of the recommendations.. apparently our dates( which are not flexible at all) are in high demand and some places are full, and others way over budget.. London is stumping me.. have Paris and Dublin lined up .. but London is pricey!!!

Am looking at the Premier Inn chain, not sure which locations are best.. Blackfriars was booked up.. any other suggestions.. maybe the one in Kensington.. I stayed in the Base2Stay( now called the Nadler and very over budget now!) right down the street from it once and liked it..

How is Tower Hill for a location?

Posted by
1446 posts

We have been to London many times, and have always stayed in Kensington, except once in the Victoria neighborhood. The Premier Inn in Kensington was a fine location for us - can't speak to any of the other locations. It was one block from the tube station. We walked to the Natural History Museum and to Kensington High Street for restaurants a couple nights. On this trip, we were only there 3 nights and then flew to Sweden, so not a long stay.

Posted by
11507 posts

Booked Studios2let North Gower.. got four nights for 344 GBPs.. Rooms may be tiny but we don't care.. apparently a good location and clean .. that will do . Free cancellation till 7 days before we go so lots of time to shop around now with at least a bird in the hand.

Anyone know the Studios2Let ?

Posted by
16 posts

We've stayed very happily at the Tavistock Hotel. It sits overlooking A nice square, near the British Museum and very close to the Euston station and the Russell Station tube stop. It comes with a very decent breakfast (buffet style with fish, eggs, beans, toast... The usual fare. And has a very charming lounge where we've met England teachers visiting London for conferences or other locals. The rooms have just been upgraded. The staff isn't as all English with an influx of Eastern European staff, but they are very polite and accommodating.

Posted by
2842 posts

Can recommend the Celtic Hotel (formerly St. Margaret's hotel, which is how you will see URL if you Google it), just off Russell Square, which should meet your "central location". Doubles and twins ensuite, breakfast, VAT included 90-100GBP. Russell Square tube stop around the corner, as are buses. British Museum and British Library close by.

It's true, London in July is tough, and this is late to be looking.

Posted by
833 posts

I don't know what the current pricing is like, but even around Christmas (a few years ago) the St. Giles Hotel was pretty reasonable. I liked the location - it is near Tottenham Court Station. It certainly wasn't the nicest hotel I've stayed in, but it worked for us when we wanted to stay cheap!

Posted by
8293 posts

Yes, the good old St. Giles. It used to be, and may still be, a hotel favoured by tour groups. I believe once upon a time it was a YMCA.

Posted by
706 posts

I second Rosemary's suggestion for Lancaster Hall.

Posted by
11507 posts

Pathetic I know.. but the Lancaster Hall only has twin bedded rooms. we couldn't sleep apart.. lol Price and location look great though!!

Posted by
11507 posts

Well I have booked for our second stay.. booked at the Celtic hotel as suggested ( thanks) for last three nights for 104 GBPs a night,, looks like a great location for us also !!

Posted by
3580 posts

I like Number 63 on Bayswater Rd. It's close enough to paddington to be walkable and close to Underground and bus lines. Kensington Gardens are just across the street. Rates are very reasonable. The Swan pub is on the same block.

Posted by
143 posts

Maybe someone has already said this - I did not read all the responses. Last year we stayed at the Tune Hotel near the big train station (oh dear, I'm forgettting its name at this moment) and were very happy with it although it IS a chain. Have also stayed at the Celtic Hotel near the British Museum and loved it although we had shared bath . Twas no problem though - hardly saw anyone else using it and they may have ensuite rooms too. Wonderful breakfast and staff and location. Two years ago the hotel did not have a website where you could book - you needed to call them, but it was worth a quick call. We paid around $100. Hope this helps. Julia

Posted by
5 posts

I have been to London many times and usually stay at a bed-and-breakfast hotel (unless I am able to find a great rate for a large hotel on expedia or one of the other websites). There are many small hotels in London and they almost always include breakfast. Some of the small B&B's do not have ensuite bathrooms with every room - it is usually the single rooms that may lack an ensuite bathroom though - so read the fine-print when you are checking prices. Check out reviews on tripadvisor and travel books/sites such as Frommers and Fodors.

The best rates for B&B's can be found in the Marble Arch area - just north of Hyde Park. There are many hotels in this area both small and large. Bloomsbury is a bit more convenient area - and the prices will be slightly higher for hotels in this area. However, you should be able to stay under 100 pounds per night. there are several B&B hotels in Bloomsbury on Cartwright Gardens, and I have stayed in a couple of those in the past. Last year, I stayed at the Harlingford Hotel which had a very nice breakfast; I have also stayed at the Jenkins hotel. Both of these were very charming.

Posted by
1 posts

I have a related question. i will be headed to London in March, and need a twin room for around 100 GBP. I have heard back from few places with space for us, and need to pick one. In Bloomsbury, we could stay at Celtic Hotel or Ridgemount. (Anyone have any advice on which of those would be better?) The other possibility is the George, between Victoria Station and Pimlico.

I have never been to London before, so not sure which neighborhood would be better: Bloomsbury or Pimilico. Both look convenient for different things.

Posted by
11507 posts

Aronon,, I booked the Celtic based on reviews I read on tripadvisor.comm yelp, and fodars , . the location seems to be a high point , mentioned in many of the reviews as being very convenient. The hotel is very basic from what I have read, but clean .. but as I said,, it really seems to be a great location. I will be there after you so can't really be much help other then to confirm the location seems ideal for the price.. which is why I ended up booking it.. we got a larger double with private bathroom for 104 GBPs in july.

Posted by
2 posts

Check out London University's offerings. They have residence halls all over london very reasonable. some sites include breakfast with cost and some are self-catering.