Please sign in to post.

Historic Houses

I came across this organization while researching and planning our upcoming trip. It covers most of the properties we hoped to visit. Membership for 12 months is £84 per couple. The website is There are over 300 properties and gardens. Perhaps others will find it useful as well.

Posted by
3742 posts

Thank you Denny!
Plenty of places to explore. Here's their list of houses with a map:

Alnwick Castle, Althorp (home of the Spencer family, Lady Di and her brother were raised here), Arundel Castle and more are listed. Definitely looks worth it to become a member.

Bamburgh Castle, Berkeley Castle, Balmoral, Blair Castle, Blenheim, Broughton Castle (where "Shakespeare In Love" was filmed), Burghley House......

This is a treasure trove of cool places to see.
Thanks again Denny!

Posted by
3742 posts

Browsing farther down the list is Chavenage House which is used as the family home "Trenwith" in the TV series "Poldark". (Also used to film some scenes for "Wolf Hall".)

If you are a Poldark fan and will be in the Cotswolds, look for it north of Tetbury, Gloucestershire.

Profile of Chavenage House on the Cotswolds website:
is an interesting site to browse around.

Posted by
1446 posts

The National Trust UK has a similar annual membership available. They also have Overseas Visitor Touring Passes available for 7 or 14 days. The passes are valid in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. (Scotland has it's own pass) It would be interesting to compare lists. The NT also covers some relics and parklands.

Posted by
3742 posts

Thank you, Kathleen; a Forum friend and I were just discussing this last week by email!
Here's the website:

"If you're living outside the UK and planning a holiday here, you can save money and time by buying our Touring Pass in advance. Purchase a 7 or 14 day pass and enjoy free entry to over 300 historic houses and gardens In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, from only £33.00 for 7 days."

Buying the Touring Pass:
Quite a list of places to visit!
"Please note that the Touring Pass cannot be bought from National Trust properties. It must be bought in advance of your visit through one of the online shops."

National Trust membership is for residents of Britain.
The Royal Oak Foundation is for Americans to become a member:
This you join for a year.

Posted by
1446 posts

Thanks Rebecca! My hyperlinks never seem to work! I really enjoyed using NT pass! We were driving and used this information to guide us for each day's drive. We found wonderful out of the way places that didn't have bus loads of tourists.