Please sign in to post.

Hiring a driver

We will be arriving at LHR around 1:15 on June 2, and we'd like to hire a driver to take us to Lewes. We're usually pretty groggy after a 13 hour flight, and it would just simplify our first day if we didn't have to negotiate various tube/train/bus stations. I had the name of a company that does this, but I seem to have misplaced it. Any ideas? The drivers might have been Blue Guides. Also, I'm not sure how long it might take us to go through various lines at the airport before we could emerge to meet someone. Thanks for any help you can give us.

Posted by
501 posts

It can be cost-effective to book a taxi firm local to your end destination - in this case a Lewes firm. They will be used to airport runs and may be already doing a drop-off.

I have no specific recommendations but a quick Google gives: https://lewestaxis.co.uk/

Posted by
5239 posts

Also, I'm not sure how long it might take us to go through various lines at the airport before we could emerge to meet someone.

If you're a US passport holder then you can use the e-gates at Heathrow which will mean you skip the lines at border control. Depending on where your plane parks you could potentially be through in as little as ten minutes. If you have luggage to collect then this will add a bit longer but Heathrow is usually fairly good at getting luggage through quite quickly.

Posted by
623 posts

I have usedenter link description here a couple of times and they're very good and reasonably priced. Are you going to Glyndebourne? I've never been but have been to Charleston House three times. Also close by is Monk's House, the home of Virginia and Leonard Woolf.

Posted by
358 posts

Most of the big companies would do this e.g. Addison Lee, Blackberry, or else look for someone at the destination as they are more likely to get a run to the airport beforehand