Please sign in to post.

Highclere in 2015

We will be in the Oxford area this Sept. 8, 9, and 10th, when Highclere is open to the public but advance tickets are sold out.

Has anyone had success in acquiring walk-in tickets this season, and if so, do you advise arriving early (10 a.m.?) or around 2:30 p.m., as the Highclere website advises?

Posted by
2 posts

Chris: My family and I went there on July 20th arriving about 2:30pm and had no difficulty getting in. I would not recommend getting there before noon, as the tour people allegedly show up in the morning.

Getting there is a bit tricky, although if you drive down A34 you will find signs.

Wayne in Halifax

Posted by
99 posts

Thanks very much, Wayne. That is helpful to know.

Posted by
111 posts

Here are the driving directions that were on our Highclere tickets: "Visitors arriving by car should follow the brown tourist traffic signs for Highclere Castle off the A34. If you are using a Sat Nav, please use the postcode RG20 9LE which will bring you to the entrance of Highclere Castle." Enjoy your visit!

Posted by
2023 posts

We visited Highclere two years ago at that time in September. We tried to visit it on a Saturday but there was a wedding being held there--the guy at the gate told us to return Sunday morning. We arrived early (around 10 am) and had no problem touring it. The Egyptian museum on the lowest level and garden were underwhelming but the extensive land around it is beautiful.