Please sign in to post.
Posted by
2377 posts

I took the train to Newbury, then a taxi to the castle. The website has all the information.

Posted by
184 posts

Maybe the situation has changed in the past few years, but we did train and taxi too. The issue was trying to get a taxi to come get us back to the station. Another couple kindly let us share theirs.

Posted by
2377 posts

The taxi driver who took us to Highclere gave us a card with his number, which we called for the return.

Posted by
308 posts

We visited Highclere Castle in May, and did as described above, train to Newbury, taxi from the station to Highclere Castle. On the way back we just phoned and booked a taxi to pick us up. They take the booking and text you the license number of the taxi. Cabco, one of the local taxi companies, also has an app you can use to book.

Posted by
118 posts

I visited Highclere a few weeks ago. I stayed at Carnarvon Arms and was able to walk to the castle. I used Ave Cabs to get to and from the train station. I highly recommend them. I called from the station and they arrived within minutes. While driving to the hotel, the driver scheduled another cab to take me back to the train station 2 days later. Both cabbies were prompt and friendly.

Posted by
2602 posts

I visited Highclere in 2018 and did it as a guided small group day trip from London--it included time at Cogges Manor Farm (Yew Tree Farm on DA) and also Bampton, a very charming village. I enjoyed seeing these other locations that I wouldn't have visited otherwise as well as the countryside from the bus, and then we had 4 hours on our own at Highclere, plenty of time to explore the house and grounds thoroughly and have lunch in the garden area. We left London at 7:30 am and returned by 6 pm. It was one of the best days in my travel adventures thus far, so however you get there I hope you enjoy Highclere as much as I did.