Please sign in to post.

High tea in London

We are traveling to London with two 11 year olds and their parents. We want to have high tea but don't want to pay the High prices that are charged. (we're afraid the kids won't like the cucumber sandwiches.) We would like a nice place to have tea, small sandwiches and scones with clotted cream.(not too expensive) Any suggestions

Posted by
2775 posts

I believe you want Afternoon Tea, which includes finger sandwiches, scones and pastries. High Tea or just “tea” is the evening meal.

Posted by
22 posts

There’s usually a variety of sandwiches or small savory items to try and a lot of afternoon teas have their menus online, so you can pick one that suits your tastes as well. Some of the bigger museums have nice afternoon teas that are relatively inexpensive, maybe take a look at the National Gallery or the Portrait Gallery?

Posted by
1069 posts

It seems that using the name "high tea" instead of the correct afternoon tea is used to imply that it is posh, as said they are two different things. I've heard that some establishments in London are deliberately using the high tea name to entice Americans/Australians into their restaurants, it's still called "tea" in my house, not dinner.

Posted by
3391 posts

A very nice place with a reasonably priced cream and afternoon tea is the Wolseley. It's just next to the Ritz but almost literally 10 times cheaper.

Posted by
734 posts

In my book high tea is what you gave young children at about 5pm, then the adults would have super later. It would involve eay comfort childrens food like scrambled eggs.
Adore cucumber sandwichss, my favourite, thin white bread, good salted butter, cucumber (not too thin) and a sprinkling of salt! Think they will be right up childrens street. But you might not get them. You usually get a selection of fillings, in the past i have had smoked salmon and cucumbr, watercress, ham or chicken and almond.
All yummy😀