Please sign in to post.

Help with itinerary

My mother and I are traveling to England in late April. We will have 5 to 6 full days to explore. We will be flying into/out of Heathrow. Our flight will arrive before 10am. We would like to travel the countryside before staying in London later in the week. We have a list of priority destinations one of which is Chatsworth House. I realize it is a long way to travel, but it is a must for us. My trouble is whether we should hire a car or use trains/buses. We are not exactly organized tour group travelers. We like to take our time when we can and see the things we are most interested in. However, that being said, I am not completely opposed to the idea of a one day guided tour if it allows us to experience more in our short window of time. The rough itinerary is as follows:

Travel Day
Day 1: Arrive at LHR head directly to central or northern end of the Cotswolds check into hotel for two nights.
Day 2: explore Cotswolds
Day 3: leave mid afternoon to travel to Bakewell for the night
Day 4: tour Chatsworth House in the morning (either go back to Bakewell for another night or head to another destination for one night on the way back to London to break up the travel time open for suggestions here)
Day 5: arrive late afternoon in London check into hotel on the western side of the city
Day 6: spend day in London
Travel Day

We are trying to strike a balance between the need to see as much as we can and enjoying our time being in each area. I have never driven in the UK, but and not opposed to learning. My mom has no interest. Would it be better to attempt this itinerary, if not too rushed, with or without a car? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance.

Posted by
6397 posts

Hi, kdehaven41! I can't give you much help with the Cotswolds, but have researched Chatsworth as I will be spending 5 nights in The Peak in early to mid-April of next year. You might want to take a look at their Directions page, as it gives extensive information on trains and buses to Chatsworth from the various Peak towns. https://www.chatsworth.org/visit-chatsworth/visitor-information/how-to-get-here/ So getting there by public trasnportation is doable.

I do know that getting around in the Cotswolds, however, is difficult without a car. So you might consider renting a car for the days you are staying there, then return it and take the train to The Peak District.

My only other suggestion would be to stay in Bakewell for another night as there are so many places around there that are wonderful to explore.

Posted by
5841 posts

If you are only in the Cotswolds for one full day then a tour makes sense.

Most people will counsel against driving straight off a TA flight.

I assume the flights are booked, otherwise this might have been better as an open jaw, flying into Manchester and out of London- progressing as Chatsworth, Cotswolds and London.

Bakewell is only 50 minutes on the hourly bus to Chesterfield Station (which calls at Chatsworth 13 minutes before/after Bakewell), then 2 hours to London St Pancras on the train.

I wonder about going LHR to Bakewell (or Chesterfield) on Day 1, Chatsworth Day 2, Day 3 Chesterfield to Moreton in Marsh changing at Derby and Oxford- a 2 3/4 hour journey overall from Chesterfield. Day 4 Cotswolds with an evening train to London; Days 5 and 6 London.

Posted by
27168 posts

GoCotswolds runs small-group (van) tours of the Cotswolds from the Moreton-in-Marsh train station. I was able to take one of those tours while staying in Oxford, but there is lodging available in Moreton.

Another Cotswolds option is the MadMax tours departing from Bath.

Posted by
4862 posts

...whether we should hire a car...

If you are thinking of driving upon landing at LHR, you might want to reconsider. You'll probably be tired, sleepy, jet lagged, driving on unfamilar roads, and driving on the left side of the road. In my case, that would be an accident waiting to happen. A better choice will be to take a train or bus to your first destination. Perhaps rent a car there, or, with more research, find some day trip tours to explore the Cotswolds.