Please sign in to post.

Heathrow to Windsor

Hi my travel community,
I will visit Windsor Castle after I arrive at Heathrow airport. Besides taxi, are there any public transportation I can take to get there? Thank you for your help.

Posted by
32834 posts

You can get there quite easily by bus.

Number 60 from T5 is one choice.

Use the TfL Planner. https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/ When you are playing around with make sure that it registers the time you want to make the journey because it defaults to London time when you are using it. So if you are several time zones away when using it the results will be wrong if you don't tell it when you will actually be traveling.

You can also take the train - Heathrow Express and change in London Paddington or Heathrow Connect and change at Hayes, train back to Slough, and take the little shuttle train to Windsor and Eton.

Posted by
35 posts

Thank you, Nigel, for the info. It seems easier to take the bus.

Posted by
5332 posts

A pre-booked private hire car would be around £18 - there are plenty of firms based in the Windsor area to choose from. A taxi off the rank would be expensive as these are London-based and would be travelling out of area.

Bus routes 71 and 77 operate up to every 30 minutes, providing direct services between Windsor town centre and Heathrow Terminal 5. Journey time is up to 1 hour. 71 takes a longer route.

Posted by
35 posts

Thank you, Marc. Now I know I can also take bus 71 or 77. I wonder if there is a website I can get on to see the bus schedule and cost? I just want to get coins ready unless there is a ticket office. Thank you.

Posted by
16363 posts

We did this a few years ago and just paid the bus driver, but I don't know if that is still the practice. It was £5.60 then, and the ride took 45 minutes.

Posted by
110 posts

We are planning to do the same thing when we go in May.

Originally, I had thought train (but that would require "backtracking" - going Heathrow to London and then back out to Windsor).

Then the folks here suggested a bus (77) via https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/ . It's the cheapest and it works but it takes almost an hour to go 10 miles.

Finally (because we managed to save a ton of money on trains) we decided to hire a car that will pick us up from Heathrow, take us to our first destination (Oakley Court, just west of Windsor) and then drive us to the Maidenhead train station. Of the three, it's the most expensive option, but it does exactly what we want for the day we get off of a very long flight.

Good luck in your decision.

Posted by
35 posts

Thank you again for giving me feedback. I will be in Europe for two month. Taking a bus will definitely save me money.

Posted by
5332 posts

The 71 route is a bit longer but it does go past Runnymede if you have any interest in that.

Posted by
5332 posts

The 71 and 77 referred to here are not TfL buses though - the 77 in TfL terms goes from Waterloo to Tooting.

They are run by First.Berkshire & Thames Valley. Official links below.

Route 71: Map -Timetable
Route 77: Map - Timetable

Posted by
5332 posts

It is confusing in that some non TfL sites list them with other London buses, probably because of the tourist interest in them.

I think the furthest out a TfL bus gets towards that way is the 81 bus from Slough to Hounslow (which doesn't go via Heathrow).

Posted by
35 posts

Thank you Marco, Debbie, and Emma from London for the information. With it, I will get to Windsor without any difficulty and have a great time.:)