Please sign in to post.

Heathrow to Russell square

Best way to travel from Heathrow to Russell square tube. Do I need to change trains. How difficult is it with luggage?

Posted by
47 posts

I haven’t done it yet but our hotel is near Russell Square. The Piccadilly line will take you directly from Heathrow to Russell Sq in about an hour.

Posted by
13 posts

Yes, I am staying near Russell square. Is it difficult to exit the tube stations with luggage? I’m trying to figure out the best way to get from Heathrow to this area

Posted by
7391 posts

Russell Square has a tube station on the direct Piccadilly line from Heathrow in around 50 minutes.
There are a few steps from platform to lift level, a lift to the barrier, then a few steps out, by easily manageable.

Posted by
131 posts

We always stay in the Covent Garden and Russell Square area when we visit London. Each time we just take the tube from Heathrow on the Piccadilly line. As long as you have a roller bag, you should be fine for luggage on the tube. Just take the lift to get to the train. Be sure to put the journey on Google Maps or a tube app and it will tell you what exit to take from the tube station that is closest to your hotel. You don't want to have to take extra steps if you can avoid it.

Posted by
332 posts

It’s Covent Garden but I would avoid getting off there. Use Russell Square Tube Station if your hotel is nearer to that.

Posted by
9101 posts

Its true. MAJOR error on my part. There is a Russell Square station. Apologies. Deleting original post.

Posted by
33509 posts

Russell Square is a straight shot from Heathrow on the Piccadilly Line, no changes required. Enjoy the scenery before Earls Court when the train is above ground - see if you can add up all the wires sharing the tunnel - careful though as the game is very similar to counting sheep, and you know what happens when you do that!

From Earls Court you are in the underground, 10 more stops to Russell Square. When in the underground, continue your game by looking at the colours and patterns on the walls in the stations. Every one unique so commuters know where they are at a glance on the way home.

When the tube train stops at Holborn get ready - you are the next stop just 2 minutes away. You don't have a lot of time to get off so don't dawdle, and mind the gap.

When you get up to the ticket line use the wide gate (for disabled and bulky bags etc.). The staff member on the line will help if needed.

Welcome to London.

Posted by
7391 posts

Claudia,

We all make mistakes. I made one this morning. My post is updated above now.

Posted by
1337 posts

Claudia, you are forgiven. We all drop the ball occasionally, even us locals. I still would refer to your posts for ‘all things London’ suggestions when making the trek from my northern wastes.

And remember - “To err is human, but if you want a real cock-up get a computer involved”!

Ian

Posted by
9101 posts

Thanks to Nigel who sent a PM, isn31c & ianandjulie.

I was going to plead temporary insanity.

Posted by
33509 posts

never sure about that temporary insanity stuff

All is forgiven. Put it down to finger fumble. Or, even better, rapid unscheduled disassembly.

Posted by
13 posts

Many thanks to all of you, you’ve talked me into doing the tube. Thanks for the sightseeing advise as well

Posted by
114 posts

I've stayed near Russell Square on 3 trips to London, sometimes packing light, but not always. I never had a problem traveling from Heathrow to Russell Square on the Piccadilly Line. Unfortunately, the lovely family owned hotel we always stayed at is now out of business, so we'll have to find another place to stay on our next trip!