Please sign in to post.

Heathrow to Oxford and beyond

We are planning a week in England this September before heading to Athens for a tour that begins October 2. We arrive at Heathrow early morning terminal 5 and would like to explore some places we missed on our last trip. We are thinking of Oxford, the Cotswold villages, Salisbury or Cardiff. We have a premier inn reservation back at Heathrow the night before leaving for Athens.
We are thinking of taking the National Express bus to Oxford for two nights, then picking up a rental car to visit two other places for two nights each. I have several questions. Which Oxford stop should I choose knowing we’ll be jet-lagged and on foot, any moderate priced hotel suggestions, nearest car rental? Also should I get a round trip bus ticket dropping off the car at the same place or drop it off at Heathrow. We have dropped off cars at Gatwick in the past but not Heathrow.
Also any other suggestions you have would be gratefully appreciated. Happy to be trip planning again!

Posted by
109 posts

I rented a car in Oxford through AAA, and simply walked a few blocks from the rental office to the train station after turning the car in. Remember to reserve a car with an automatic transmission, unless you can shift a manual with your left hand!

Posted by
32795 posts

There's the National Express coach but there's also the The Airline specifically for Oxford.

They have an extraordinarily helpful webpage with answers to loads of questions... Many local may use The Airline instead of the NX coach. https://www.theairlineoxford.co.uk/oxford-to-heathrow-bus/

I think that answering which stop to get off is a bit premature until you have a hotel; then it would be the nearest to the hotel.

The main bus station in Oxford is at Gloucester Green; many also pass the train station.