Please sign in to post.

Heathrow to Oxford

We're going to land very late at Heathrow and need to go straight to Oxford. I don't fancy renting a car or dealing with changing trains late at night and jet-lagged. I welcome any recommendations for car-and-driver service. Thanks.

Posted by
4684 posts

Yes, the coach is better than trying to do it by train.

Posted by
306 posts

we've taken the "Airline" coach from Heathrow to Oxford several times – highly recommended. Have had some great post-flight naps on that bus – much more comfortable for napping than a train or rental car, which we've also done :-)
and unlike on a train, the driver will put your luggage underneath the bus and you don't have to worry about it until you get to Oxford. You can also get off various places in Oxford.

Posted by
35 posts

Thank you all. I am open-minded re the coach but I see ourselves arriving Oxford about midnight and staying a bit out of the center of town. Can you say where the coach might stop in Oxford? Thanks again!

Posted by
306 posts

Steve, if you look at the map on this page (scroll down to the little map "Stops in Oxford") it will show you where you can get off the bus (the light-blue stops). If you're staying outside Oxford to the east, you can get off at Thornhill, Headington, etc. You can also get off at the last stop (Gloucester Green bus station) and get a taxi there.

https://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/airline/

Posted by
1810 posts

If you are arriving at Heathrow that late perhaps it’s easier to just stay at one of the airport hotels for the night. Continue on to Oxford fresh the new morning.

Posted by
4 posts

Is it advisable or necessary to buy tickets ahead of time for this bus? Given the vagaries of airline travel and going through immigration and so on, I hate to commit to a time, but I also don't want to be without a seat! There will be three of us for next Friday, and I'm wondering if I should book ahead of time - and if the tickets (which I see are for a specific time) are transferable to a different time of departure.

Posted by
5332 posts

"To give you peace of mind, you have 24 hours’ flexibility either side of the chosen time for journeys from the airport."

(You have +/-2 hours flexibility the other way)

Although you are not in this circumstance guaranteed a seat in my experience you would be very unlucky not to get one in normal circumstances. Rail strikes may tilt this I suppose.

Posted by
6431 posts

Is it advisable or necessary to buy tickets ahead of time for this
bus?

I've never bought a ticket in advance for this bus, always bought them direct from the driver.