Please sign in to post.

Heathrow to hotel near Victoria Station?

In early August we will arrive after a 10.5 hour flight from San Francisco to Heathrow Terminal 2. Probably severally jet lagged and in our mid-70's. After getting our checked bags (1 bag each) and going through security maybe it will be 4pm on a Saturday. I am guessing the best approach for us is to get a taxi. We need to go to a hotel near Victoria Station to pick up a tour on Monday at 9am.

So the options are:
1) Taxi stand
2) Uber
3) Heathrow Express followed by tube from Paddington to Victoria Station. Not sure about the luggage difficulties in the tube.

Given that my wife gets easily tired I am inclined to do #1 or #2.

Thoughts? Thank you.

Posted by
8373 posts

It is not hard to get to Victoria Station by public transport from Heathrow. However, there are no "bonus points" for taking public transport if you feel taking a taxi will meet your needs better. It is okay to spend money on yourselves, especially when you think it could have a positive impact on your health and well-being. I am glad that you are looking out for your wife's needs. Some people even arrange for a car service like Blackberry cars to meet them.

If you did want the public transport option that will probably be easiest in terms steps and luggage handling, etc. I would consider the National Express Bus to Victoria Coach Station. The Coach Station at Heathrow is located adjacent to Terminal 2. You would walk a short distance, have the driver load your luggage under the bus, and then ride the coach into London. A quick check shows that prices vary, but the highest I saw was 13 pounds a person for the day I looked.

Posted by
14992 posts

Most often, suggestions are to take public transportation. But.....with what you describe, I'd suggest a car service. They meet you as you come out of customs, walk you to your car, and drop you off in front of your hotel. This will be much less expensive than a taxi. You arrange for one ahead of time and they monitor your flight so they will know if you are early or late.

As previously mentioned, Blackberry cars are popular. So is Addison Lee and and Just Airports.

There may be some who will come here to tell you that it's easy to use pubic transpotation, or the Heathrow Express or whatever. That's great. Do what you feel is right for you and your wife.

Posted by
162 posts

Thanks Carol. On reflection I think my wife would be very relieved to get a taxi directly to our hotel near Victoria Station. Just getting to the SF airport is 1.5 hr, then waiting for the international flight in what might be a busy August, followed by the 10.5 hr flight.

Must grease the wheels reduce friction. :)

Frank, I have heard of Blackberry service and will look into that. Thanks.

Posted by
32202 posts

Les,

As mentioned above, there are National Express coaches from Heathrow to London Victoria Coach station. I've used that in the past and it has worked very well, and it's very reasonably priced - https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/destinations/london/heathrow-to-london .

This will provide an idea of all the options - https://www.rome2rio.com/map/London-Heathrow-Airport-LHR/Victoria-Underground-Station . I'd suggest double checking results on this website with the websites of the various transport systems.

Posted by
358 posts

Here's a different idea - take a hotel at the airport.

Then you can take the very easy Underground trip the next day (Piccadilly line to Baron's Court, walk ten feet or so and take District line to Victoria). The Underground will be quicker than a taxi and a lot cheaper - and that saving will eat into the cost of a hotel room by some way.

I've picked up people coming in from the west coast before and even a taxi ride is a step too far

Posted by
162 posts

Still looks like the Blackberry service is the best choice for us.

Posted by
14992 posts

Still looks like the Blackberry service is the best choice for us.

If that's the best for you, then that's what you should use. Remember, it's your wife you have to make happy, not some stranger on a travel board.

Enjoy your trip and if we can be of any more help, let us know.

Posted by
1803 posts

I used blackberry cars to get to heathrow last May. Driver arrived slightly early and called me on my temporary UK number to say he was outside. Friendly driver, good ride and the car was clean. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again when needed.

I fly in from San Francisco too. After all those hours traveling the last thing I want to do is hop on the tube into London. In the past the heathrow express and a taxi was the best option for me. But I think the minicab is probably your best option.

Have a great trip.

Posted by
73 posts

Les: Sounds like options 1 or 2 will work best for you guys. More than likely there could be traffic getting from Heathrow to your hotel location on as Saturday that time of the day. Just something to consider when budgeting your time that day.