Please sign in to post.

Heathrow to Central London

I have not yet booked a hotel but I was trying to get familiar with options from getting from Heathrow to Central London.

If I took the Elizabeth Line, what would the best Central London stops be?

It seems like it is simple to get the Heathrow Express from terminal 5 which would zip me to Paddington. Am I correct. I tried using the journey planner and it was confusing.

There also seems to be a couple of other lines such as Picadilly Line which will take me from Heathrow to Central London.

I am also considering shuttle service.

I have come across WeKnow which has locations in the airport. Is anyone familiar with WeKnow.

And then there is Black Cab which would cost me over $100.00.

I am a senior citizen with arthritis in my knees and spinal stenosis. For me, it might be worth the money to be taken from the airport to my hotel.

How have others gone from Heathrow to hotels in Central London? What was your experience? What would you recommend?

Posted by
8252 posts

There is a great deal of walking involved just to make it from the plane, through passport control, and then on to any of these transportation options. Just a heads up……

This is a little bit of a “cart before the horse” question until we know where you are going to stay. I encourage you to be near a convenient tube station.

On a personal note, I usually do a combination of Heathrow Express ( ticket bought cheaply in advance) and then taxi from Paddington to hotel.

Posted by
14800 posts

There are many options for getting into London. Which one, at least public transportation wise, depends on where you are staying.

However, considering your health issues, and saying "it might be worth the money to be taken from the airport to my hotel," I would suggest a pre-arranged car service. They meet you as you come out of customs and drop you off at the front door to your hotel. Door to door service and cheaper than a taxi.

All public transport options involves much more walking.

While I have never taken them, Blackberry Cars seems to be a popular company in this forum.

Posted by
310 posts

We have used blackberrycars.com 2 times and while not cheap, worth it! Just used it 3 weeks ago. We went from Heathrow(met us at Costa coffee) to Premier Inn at Waterloo/westminster for about 68 £ . I did make reservations several months before. Happy Travels!!

Posted by
2482 posts

You're putting the cart before the horse. Don't try and determine the best transport options until you know where you're staying.

Shuttles are not a thing in the UK. You have public transport (trains, buses, underground) or taxis (pre-book unless money is no object simply jumping into a cab at the airport).

https://www.londontoolkit.com/mnu/london-hotels.html

Posted by
16024 posts

It sounds to me like they are looking to choose a London hotel that is easy to reach from Heathrow, so exploring the transport options first. And asking about tube stops on the Elizabeth Line, perhaps with an eye to booking a hotel close to one of those. If that is the case, here is a schematic map of the Elizabeth Line stations, showing which have step-free access:

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/elizabeth-line-map.pdf

I am not sure what they mean by “central London” but probably either of the two stations after Paddington, namely Bond Street and Tottenham Court Road, would qualify in most people’s view.

As for easy options for getting from Heathrow into London, we like the Heathrow Express plus black cab route that Carol described. Tickets on the Heathrow Express bought 90+days in advance cost only £5.50. The train platform is not a bad walk from the Terminal 5 arrivals area (step-free) and the train itself is level with the platform—-no steps up required (but do “mind the gap”). And the walk from the platform at Paddington out to the street taxi stand is all level as well (if I recall correctly). The most expensive taxi ride we had from there to our lodging was £20 to our apartment on the South Bank past Tower Bridge. A “central London” location should be less, unless taxi rates have risen considerably since we last rode one (which is quite possible since that was pre-covid).

I am strongly Tube-averse and much prefer to get around London on foot (we are fortunate to have no mobility issues), or by bus or Thames Clipper. Here is a good map of the main bus routes through central London, and their proximity to the main tourist sights:

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/key-bus-routes-in-central-london.pdf

There is a bit of a learning curve involved in finding the bus stops, but the TFL website has “spider maps” and route descriptions that show them clearly.

Posted by
13800 posts

I agree with rambin' on. I think just knowing there are a variety of options is good then narrow things down when you decide on your hotel.

For instance, I like to take the National Express Coach from Heathrow to the Victoria Coach Station because it is literally 1/2 block from the hotel I like to stay in. I would not recommend this mode of transport for someone staying north of Hyde Park. I would recommend it for someone staying in the Victoria Station area.

Posted by
1900 posts

Thank you for this valuable information.

Ramblin' On, I have discovered London Toolkit and it is very valuable. I am going to check out the hotel recommendations.

I have plenty of time to decide what might work best for me as far as going from Heathrow to wherever I will be going in London.

It is too early to book my flight. I have plenty of hotel options but there may be plenty more as I get closer to October 2023. Sime hotels do not offer rooms this far in advance.

I have also discovered London Transfers and London Minicab Service which get very good reviews.

I am glad to see that there are many options getting from Heathrow Airport to wherever I might lodge in London.

Posted by
1900 posts

Chriss, 68 Pounds is acceptable.

I am thinking of staying at Premier Inn Waterloo. Were you satisfied?

Posted by
2482 posts

Save up for 12 months. Stay at the Savoy - you only live once. Job done.

Posted by
1900 posts

I am looking for a hotel that will be easy to get to from Heathrow. I plan to spend up to a week in London before going to Southampton to take a cruise.

That is among the reasons I am doing some research early.

I have already found a service that will pick me up at my hotel in London and take me to a hotel in Southampton the night before my cruise. I found this through London Toolkit.

Posted by
1900 posts

ramblin on

I checked out the Savoy and it is nothing short of magnificent but over $7,000 for five nights is too much living for me.

I guess that I will be allowed to see the lobby. Maybe I can splurge and do tea. Tea at The Savoy!

It is a good landmark and I might look for other hotels near. The Savoy

Posted by
16024 posts

There are two Z hotels that are fairly close to the Savoy. Even closer is the Wilde Aparthotel Covent Garden.

https://www.staycity.com/wilde/london/covent-garden

October 2023 rates are up now; you can book a room for around $230/nt or a studio apartment for $300. Those are flexible rates—- you can cancel up to 3 days before arrival.

We had an apartment booked there for our March 2020 stay, but of course we were not able to go.

Posted by
6172 posts

I have already found a service that will pick me up at my hotel in
London and take me to a hotel in Southampton the night before my
cruise.

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for that? And why not just take the train?

Posted by
3719 posts

"I am looking for a hotel that will be easy to get to from Heathrow."

Terminal 5 Heathrow coach station--coach to Victoria Coach Station, London--cost: about 6 pounds.

Walk a block to Premier Inn London Victoria--$120. per night.

Catch the coach at Victoria Coach Station to the Southampton Cruise Terminals.

Doesn't get any easier than this, or much cheaper.

You'd be right by Victoria Station, where many tube lines converge, plus many bus routes have a stop here.

Walk north 6 or 7 blocks and you'll see Buckingham Palace.

Posted by
14800 posts

Take a look at Resident Hotels.

Five star service in a four star hotel. Highly rated both online and on this forum. I'm a regular at the Kensington one but it may be too far out of central London for you. Covent Garden and Victoria might be better. (The Covent Garden location is a five minute walk to the Savoy.)

The Premier Inn Waterloo is a five minute walk to Waterloo station.. From there you can get a train to Southampton. One hour and fifteen minutes.

Posted by
1900 posts

Badger

I have just been doing research and have not paid for anything but for a deposit on my cruise.

However during my research I did come across a service that picks you up at your hotel in London and takes you to the port in Southampton or vice versa. The cost was over $100 and it was a ride sharing or shuttle service.

I felt that it was worth the money for the service.

I do not just take the train because I am 77 and will be 78 by my next cruise. I have spinal stenosis, arthritis in my knees with the right one being the worse and neuropathy in my feet.

I have taken public transportation up until now but can no longer do it. This will be my first time usinfg a service to transport me.

Even though I travel light, my luggage still causes me to have terrible flare ups of my health issues. I was in very bad pain during the entire time of my last cruise in September walking and standing. I even took a fall.

My orthopedist is going to give me an injection before my next cruise but I may have to consider paying for transport to and from hotels. I may no longer be able to use public transportation with luggage.

Posted by
1900 posts

I have been looking at several Premier Inn's. I have been looking at Premier Inn Victoria and Premier Inn Waterloo and Premier Inn County Hall.

Rebecca, You say just walk a block to Premier Inn Victoria but is it very clear in what direction. If I go in the wrong direction, I can get lost. I like P I County Hall because County Hall would be a wonderful landmark. Is there any landmark very close to P I Victoria.

Taking public transport with luggage is now a problem for me. I have arthritis in my knees, spinal stenosis, and neuropathy in my feet. I am also 77 going on 78.

Transporting luggage now causes awful flare ups. My last cruise was in September and I was in pain the whole vacation. I fell once. Paying for transport may now have to be part of my vacation expenses.

However my orthopedist is going to give me an injection before my next cruise and that may help with the pain and the flare ups. Pain is a terrible thing.

I may still try public transport. next go around.

Posted by
14800 posts

If taking public transport with luggage will cause problems then by all means book a car service from Heathrow to your hotel in London. Door to door and no worries about turning the wrong way.

Many here will try to convince you to do otherwise because that is what they do or because they are counting pennies. Do what is right for you. Anything you can do to lessen pain is worth the money. Do you really want to start your trip with flare-ups?

I would also suggest downloading the Uber app to your phone and registering. You might find yourself tired in London and want to take a car back to your hotel rather than deal with the tube or a bus.

Citymapper is also a good app to download as it will give directions to anywhere you want to go including which tube line or bus to take.

Posted by
1900 posts

Frank II

I am on a tight budget but I still might have to splurge and book private transport to and from my hotels. My preference is public transport but it might no longer be something I can use with luggage. Without luggage is a different story.

Private transport might now have to be figured into my travel expenses.

I have put a deposit on my next cruise and can not get money back or I might have cancelled this cruise and just spent a week in London and another time, a week in Rome and etc. Cruises can be a very good deal but they are. a lot of work and planning especially when you want to spend a few days in the ports either embarking or debarking.

I am running out of time and money both.

I only recently was diagnosed with arthritis of the knees when I went to see an orthopedist in October after my last cruise.

I like my iPad but need wi fi to be able to use it. I have an Android for a smart phone and do very little with it. I really do not like the latter. I am going to call my provider to see if they offer an international plan. I can no longer afford an iPhone and sure miss it.

Posted by
3719 posts

Phil, to answer your questions,

"Rebecca, You say just walk a block to Premier Inn Victoria but is it very clear in what direction. If I go in the wrong direction, I can get lost. I like P I County Hall because County Hall would be a wonderful landmark. Is there any landmark very close to P I Victoria."

Notice that I had said in my post; don't know if you read it all the way to the end.....

"You'd be right by Victoria Station.
Walk north 6 or 7 blocks and you'll see Buckingham Palace."

There are your landmarks. Also to the east is Parliament/Big Ben and the Thames River.

You spoke of getting lost......you need a paper map to look at now and orient yourself around London. You will need to take it with you, of course. Mark your hotel location on it once you are sure where you'll be staying.

Posted by
1900 posts

Rebecca,

I am going to get R S's London. Doesn't that include maps?

There also must be a visitors area at Heathrow and maybe Victoria Coach and Victoria Station.

Victoria Coach is a bus station??? and I can get a bus from Heathrow that takes me to Victoria Coach, right???

And from Victoria Coach, I can also go to Southampton. right????

I am getting familiar with Victoria Station as well as Waterloo Station but I need to get familiar with Victoria Coach.

I use google maps. I googled Victoria Station and searched hotels in the area including P I Victoria.

I am going to google Victoria Coach right now

Posted by
1900 posts

Rebecca,

I went to google maps and searched Victoria Coach. Then I requested directions to P I Victoria. Very easy looking walk taking 6 minutes.

So if I take public transportation, I should go to Victoria Coach rather than Victoria Station/???

Keeping all of it in mind..

Posted by
13800 posts

Yes, Victoria Coach Station is where the National Express buses/coaches arrive and depart. Here is a googlemap view of the Coach station BUT the pin is at the Departures area. The Arrivals come in across the street next to the Travelers Tavern if you see that on the map. Here is a walking route IF you decide on the Premier Inn Victoria.

https://goo.gl/maps/KHmNy3HgVFu3eFxa9

Editing to add:
It depends on what kind of public transportation you are taking as to where you arrive. You won't usually have a choice. Public transit goes where it goes, more of less.

If you take the National Express Coach from Heathrow to the Victoria area, you'll come in at the Coach Station.

IF you come in on the Tube, the tube station is at the front of Victoria Station near where on the Google maps it says Drinking Water Refill station. The tube entrance is not really there but it's nearby.

And another edit: There is a Tourist Information office at both Heathrow in the Baggage Claim area AND at Victoria Train station. Your hotel will also have paper maps they will give you and they will mark the location of the hotel on it for you. Rick's maps leave something to be desired. They do not show all the streets in a big city so I would probably not depend on them for detailed navigating.

Last spring Kim from Paris talked me into downloading City Mapper app and it's great BUT it does require that you have an international data plan if you want it to walk you somewhere.

Posted by
1900 posts

Pam and others,

I just watched a wonderful YouTube video that walked me from Victoria Coach to Victoria Train stations. I got a very helpful tour of both stations. And I also got a tour of Victoria Place.

It makes it so real, much less threatening. It is not just a dot on a map. You see the stations and people and businesses. And you see the streets. You are walking down the streets and being guided.

I love YouTube videos.

Posted by
3719 posts

Excellent! I'm glad you found that video and now feel more comfortable about that area.

Thank You to Pam for answering many of the questions the OP had. I was away from the forum this afternoon and was unaware more questions had been posted.

Posted by
35 posts

Chiming in to agree with what someone said before, we arrived to Terminal 2 the other day and to get through customs and then to the platform that serves both Elizabeth Line and Heathrow Express, that was at least a 20+ minute walk so be sure to factor that in. The Piccadilly line entrance was only marginally closer to Terminal 2.

Posted by
1900 posts

mimieprice,

there is no way around the 20 plus minute walk from customs to the platforms, correct?

If I went with a private service, then the driver might be waiting for me right after I went through customs, but I would still have to walk to the vehicle, correct?

Does the airport offer any services where a cart takes you to the platforms?