Please sign in to post.

Heathrow to Bath

My sister and I are landing at Heathrow about 6:00 am (if all goes well) June 15th and I am trying to figure out how best to get to Bath from there. Is it better to take the bus to Reading and then train, or train into London and then out to Bath even though this is backtracking? And, for either scenario, is it better to reserve tickets ahead of time with a cushion or to just get them as we go? Thanks!

Posted by
503 posts

I did the reverse a couple of years ago. Took a bus from Bath to Paddington and then to Heathrow. I think I did it due to the cost being cheaper. The bus was a standard size coach which was not full. It was a comfortable ride.

Posted by
15011 posts

Or, you could take a National Express coach directly from Heathrow to Bath. No need to backtrack into London. No need to get off the coach until Bath.

If you didn't want to do that, take the coach to Reading and the train to Bath. Again, why backtrack and probably pay more.

Posted by
4840 posts

Since you asked for the best way to get to Bath, consider a private car service. When one arrives in a new place sleepy, jet lagged, and unfamiliar with the territory, there is nothing better than having a private driver pick you up inside the terminal and whisk you to your destination. It's not the cheapest way, but it is by far the best way. With two of you the cost per person may not be that bad compared to other means of getting there. There is a Bath based car service we used and were very happy with all aspects of the transfer. You can google chauffertravel.co.uk or send an email to enquiries@chauffertravel.co.uk for a quote.

Posted by
4156 posts

Last May 2, I took a National Express coach from London Heathrow to Bath. Just use the link already provided to search for the times and itineraries and see the prices. Or you can use this more specific one -- http://www.nationalexpress.com/en/airports/heathrow-airport.aspx.

My advice is to prefer the schedules with no bus changes. They take about 2.25 hours. I would not purchase tickets ahead of time unless there is some way to be sure of a later seat if your plane is late. I thought the walk up one-way fare was very reasonable.

BTW, the bus station in Bath is right next door to the train station. Last year I printed out all my pre-purchased train tickets there with the very patient help of an agent. It was a 6-week trip, so there were lots of tickets. He was a saint!

Posted by
5326 posts

If you pay £5 extra when booking online your ticket is valid for 24 hours (12 before and 12 after your booked coach).

I would not consider changing in Bristol.

Posted by
1221 posts

Thanks everyone! I will be looking into all your suggestions. My one hesitation about all coach is that they tend to give me motion sickness. But if I take my meds and probably sleep much of the way it could be ok.

Posted by
10 posts

Train into Paddington and back out to Bath - no contest. Easiest and quickest

Bus would be cheaper, but less enjoyable.

Posted by
1221 posts

Ok. So if we choose to do the Heathrow Express into Paddington and then First Great Western to Bath i have a couple of questions. It looks like we can just purchase a ticket on the Heathrow Express to Paddington without any time restrictions. Is this correct? And then, First Great Western asks for us to choose a type of railcard. Which type would I choose? For this ticket it also asked for a time we would be travelling after. So then do we have some leeway for this ticket as well? I've traveled quite a bit on UK trains, but always just purchased them on the fly. With the cost though I'd like to do it ahead of time. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!