Please sign in to post.

Heathrow terminal 3

How long is the walk from terminal 3 in Heathrow to get to the inter airport train/bus (to transfer to terminal 5 for connecting flight)? I've heard that it's a really long walk and may be difficult for someone with mobility issues?

I edited this bc I had the terminals confused.

Posted by
4795 posts

Heathrow has a detailed website with maps, and should have info for those with mobility challenges.
Have a great trip!

Posted by
15122 posts

I arrived at T3 a week and a half ago. We parked at the furthest gate possible. So I walked.....and walked.....and walked......and walked and finally reached passport control.

If you have mobility issues, let the airline know. Someone will meet you at the gate in a cart and take you to passport control. It looks like a very large golf cart.

Posted by
892 posts

Do you have your two flights on one booking? If you do you will be able to use Heathrow Connect, make the transfer airside and avoid having to go through immigration and baggage claim. Unless your second flight is to the UK or Ireland, in which case you will do immigration, albeit at a smaller and quicker location.

In either case it won't save much walking distance so if you have mobility issues you should advise your airline and they will set ups assistance with the airport, as Frank says above.

Posted by
16366 posts

Note that Frank 11 was going to immigration to exit the airport, not transferring terminals for a connecting flight. There is a dedicated airside bus for transferring from T3 to T5 for a connecting flight, as John described. You need to have your flights on one ticket and/or at least have your boarding pass for the second flight in hand (or on your phone). Just follow the purple “flight connection” signs, specifically ones marked to T5. The bus will take you to T5A and you will go through security there before reaching the departure area with light boards listing your flight’s gate.

Posted by
13 posts

Both flights are on one BA ticket, the second flight is to Milan.

Posted by
15122 posts

Now I get it....

Go to this website:

http://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections

and it will give you step by step instructions on what to do.

Connecting flights at T3 is not as far from most of the gates as immigration but could still be a big hike.

I'd still suggest you request transportation from the gate to the terminal transfer location.

T5 has three separate buildings that is connected by an underground tram. Walking in the main terminal can be long. Walking in satellite B or C isn't as bad.

Posted by
6445 posts

I agree with Frank about requesting transportation. The staff there is great. I went through Heathrow today, and there was a woman who was getting out of the train at terminal 3 (I was waiting to board the free train to terminal 4) and fell. She was OK but she needed some assistance, and within 3 to 4 minutes, there was help there for her and a scooter for her to ride.

They were really on top of things. If you’re at all worried about it, ask for help.