Please sign in to post.

Heathrow or Gatwick?

For my flight home there are flights from both. Is one any better than the other?

Posted by
8397 posts

Both are fine airports. Where are you staying prior to going to the airport?

If all other factors are equal, I will usually pick Heathrow because I think ( no real supporting proof) that in case of irregular operations I will have more flight options to choose from there.

Posted by
6418 posts

If you are staying in London, don't think too much about it. Pick whichever option has the best flights.

If you're staying outside London, one of the airports might be easier to get to.

Posted by
15064 posts

Where are you staying in London?

To where are you flying?

What airline?

Posted by
20 posts

We are most likely flying aer Lingus to Dublin, then Seattle. We have vouchers from 2020 on Aer Lingus.

Posted by
5827 posts

All other things being equal you are probably better flying out of Heathrow- simply because Aer Lingus flights are far more frequent out of LHR than LGW- so if there is an issue with your LON-DUB flight, they are far more likely to have room on a next flight from LHR than LGW- to avoid a long wait for your next TA flight.

Posted by
15064 posts

Heathrow would be my choice.

In case of problems with your flight, Aer Lingus would first look to put you on one of their flights but they might also look at British Airways as they have the same parent company.

Give yourself extra time in Dublin. You will be going through US immigration and customs there rather than when you arrive in the US.