Please sign in to post.

Heathrow or Gatwick?

I am planning on a RS South England trip using Iceland Air. They fly into both Heathrow and Gatwick. Is there any reason to choose one over the other? Price to either is the same.

Posted by
7730 posts

take whatever flight is cheaper hopefully that it is smaller less people traffic Gatwick

Posted by
1573 posts

I do not know which hotel I will be staying at, but in Canterbury I doubt that makes much difference. Canterbury is where the South England tour begins.

Posted by
240 posts

Boy oh boy.... I guess technically Heathrow is closer to the city...But we have got into the city quicker by Gatwick... But I just saw you said South London??? I guess by logistics Id chose Gatwick. But only by location.

Posted by
14799 posts

Are you going directory to Canterbury? If so, it really doesn't matter.

From Heathrow take the tube to Kings Cross/St. Pancras then catch the train to Canterbury.

From Gatwick, take the Thameslink to St. Pancras and switch to a train to Canterbury.

The trains from St. Pancras to Canterbury are faster than the trains from Victoria or Charing Cross.

Posted by
32505 posts

Aly, it was "South England", not "South London".

Posted by
5309 posts

From Gatwick it is cheaper to take the train to Redhill, change there for Tonbridge and then for Canterbury West. It doesn't usually take any longer than going via London.

Posted by
8889 posts

Seconded. Gatwick to Canterbury you don't need to go via London. There is a shorter route (with changes).

Posted by
3985 posts

If price is the same and you're going to Canterbury directly, compare rail ticket prices and schedules from LHR and LGW and the ease of getting to the rail stations. Personally I like both airports.

Posted by
27 posts

We just returned from a trip using Iceland Air and we went to Gatwick as we were starting our journey in southern England. It's a smaller airport and very easy to navigate around in and find rail connections, etc.