Please sign in to post.

Heathrow connection

I’m landing at Heathrow on United at 9:40am Thursday 25 April. I need to pick up my golf clubs and connect to a BA flight at terminal 5. How long should I allow for the connection.

Posted by
6544 posts

The Heathrow connections website will let you know. You don’t say which terminal you’re arriving at. Generally, an hour for T5-T5 connections and 1.5 hours if arriving at a different terminal is enough.

Posted by
15011 posts

Is this on one ticket or two separate tickets? If two separate tickets I'm going to disagree with the previous answers.

You are arriving on United at Terminal 2. You say you have to pick up your golf clubs which means these are two separate flights not on one ticket.

So, you will arrive, go through regular immigration not transfer immigration, pick up your luggage (golf clubs), walk to the train to take you to Terminal 5, check your golf clubs in, go through security and then to your gate.

Even if your flight is on time, there is no way you are going to make this in an hour or an hour an a half.

Now, if you can get UA and BA to interline your bags, you can go through flight connections immigration, take the airside bus to Terminal 5, not have to worry about pickup your bags and save time.

Heathrow Flight Connections always assumes its on one ticket.

Posted by
7 posts

Seemed like too short of a connection. I, actually have 4.5 hours to make the connection. I will look into syncing the luggage from the United flight with the BA flight. Thank you for the suggestion.

Posted by
3099 posts

Someone posted and the deleted, so I will repeat. There is no way UA snd BA can “ interline “ bags. They are not partners and belong to separate alliances. One World versus Star Alliance.

In my experience BA will not even transfer bags between two BA flights in the same terminal if the flights are on separate tickets. I had to cancel both snd re-book on one ticket. Lesson learned.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for the additional info. As long as United doesn’t lose my clubs (like they did last year) I should have plenty of time between flights.

Posted by
5326 posts

Carriers in different alliances can still have interline agreements for baggage in place even when they don't like each other much if they see it as mutually beneficial. They won't do this on separate itineraries though. The latest public list I can find (2022) for UA lists BA as having such an agreement.