Please sign in to post.

Heathrow airport hotel

We are arriving about 9pm after full day flight from Canada and are looking for one night stay before driving to Cornwall the next day. Looking for a place convenient to airport (arrival at Terminal 2) and possibly with late kitchen hours.

Posted by
27109 posts

I have been happy with the quality of the Premier Inn near Terminal 4, and even happier with the incredibly low rates I've snagged there. It's about a 15-minute walk from the terminal through an enclosed walkway. You can move between terminals for free on what I assume is a regular Underground train; there may be other options. (I admit to being confused about this, despite having needed to do the shuttle thing twice.) You don't have to call a taxi or depend on a hotel shuttle to get you to the hotel.

Beware the propensity of the Premier Inn website to change your arrival date as you proceed through the booking process. The smartphone/tablet app seems to work fine. If you have to use a regular computer, keep an eagle eye on you arrival date; you'll probably have to search a second time after you navigate to the webpage of the T4 hotel.

I sort of think the restaurant is open late, but I could be totally wrong about that. I've tried to find information online, but I'm still not sure. Although Premier Inn does a really good job running its hotels and charging very reasonable prices, its website is seriously inadequate. And don't bother emailing; you will not get an answer to your question. If late-night food is essential, I can only suggest telephoning, but that could be very costly indeed if you end up on hold.

Posted by
1325 posts

I also like the Premier Inn Terminal 4. Premier Inn’s website doesn’t list the hours for the restaurant. I wonder if they base their closing time on how busy they are on a particular night.

I was there last year, I know the bar was open until about 1 am. I’m sure they can at least direct you to someplace where you could get food.

Posted by
5261 posts

There are a plethora of chain hotels on Bath Road which runs adjacent to the airport perimeter. These can all be reached via shuttles that leave from the airport frequently (no longer free, currently £5 one way). All budgets catered for but obviously the larger, big name hotels are going to offer the widest range in choice for late dining.

At that time and considering potential time to clear immigration, get to and check in to hotel I'd be inclined to grab something light from M&S at the airport and get to sleep asap to wake up refreshed for the loooong drive to Cornwall.

Posted by
14995 posts

There is a Sofitel attached to Terminal 5.

Take the Heathrow Express (not the Underground) from Terminal 2 to Terminal 5. It's free. The Underground will cost you. Between the train and the hotel (inside terminal 5) is a Marks & Spencer Simply Food. They have premade sandwiches, salads, snacks, etc and are open 24 hours.

The Sofitel, I believe, also has 24 hour room service but check with them.

I've stayed there a couple of times and enjoyed it.

Posted by
7356 posts

We've used the Yotel inside the airport at Gatwick several times, and I know there's one at Heathrow Terminal 4. The rooms are tiny and require some choreography to get to/from the bathroom/shower area, but it works for a one-night, late-night arrival, and might save you a few pounds to spend later in Cornwall. If the food options within the terminal have shut down by the time you get thru Arrivals and Passport Control, they sell microwaveable meals. Not fancy, but it'll get you through the night.

Posted by
27109 posts

Every time I've checked, the Yotel has been quite a bit more expensive than the Premier Inn and the room will be much smaller, but I believe there's considerably less walking time involved with the Yotel.

Posted by
311 posts

We just stayed at the Ibis Styles ,Heathrow. Everything was fine about the hotel, clean,convenient,good food but the beds and pillows were TERRIBLE! Like sleeping on a board with stones for pillows. you could get the airport shuttle across the street. The price was good and if you don't mind sleep on the floor, it's a good value!

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks for the ideas! I'll take a look at those suggestions.

Posted by
19 posts

Indeed, a hotel right at terminal 2 would be very convenient. The website says accepting reservations for arrival July 1, 2019 and beyond. We are coming in May.

Posted by
27109 posts

Hilton Garden Inns are usually less expensive than regular Hiltons, and for me they're perfectly fine. I thought since this is a new hotel it might be competitive with the T4 Premier Inn, but it is not. I checked the night of August 21, which I'll be spending at the PI. The current flexible rate at the PI is £56. The not-yet-open Hilton Garden Inn is £123 for people who qualify for the AAA or AARP discount. I assume the regular rate is somewhat higher than that.

I realize the rooms at the HGI may be a bit larger, but I haven't found those at the PI particularly cramped by European standards. And how much space does one need for a single night at the airport?

However, the location of the HGI will be more convenient for many travelers, since for many it will avoid the need to change terminals between plane and hotel.

Posted by
115 posts

We just got back from our first trip to England. We spent 15 nights there replicating the RS Southern Villages Tour. Last night before flying home we stayed at the HGI Heathrow Terminal 2 on opening day. As I just learned to say, "Cheerio!"

Posted by
5261 posts

You can find my review HERE. I hope that it may help some of you! As I just learned to say, "Cheerio!"

I've just read your review and I'm very particular about my showers, you mentioned that the temperature of the water was cooler that you would have preferred, does this mean that you were unable to make it hotter? Was it still too cool for you with the temperature set at maximum?

There's nothing I hate more than entering a shower where the pressure can barely produce a half hearted sprinkle or even worse, shower over bath where the shower head can extend only as far as my chin.

Posted by
6501 posts

This is an interesting revived discussion but the OP's trip was in May, so he's been and (presumably) gone from whatever Heathrow hotel he chose. Martin, maybe you could let us know where you stayed and how it was.

Posted by
115 posts

...does this mean that you were unable to make it hotter? Was it still
too cool for you with the temperature set at maximum?

Sorry for the delay in responding. Correct and correct: I was unable to make the temperature as hot as I wanted when set to maximum.