Please sign in to post.

Heathrow airport

Hi- I’m flying into Heathrow for the first time - making a connection is flight to Venice Italy. Looking at the heathrow terminal 5 map trying to figure it out. Looks so confusing- anyone have advice?

Posted by
5261 posts

What specific advice are you seeking?

Is your flight to Venice on one ticket? What terminal does it depart? How long is your connection time?

Terminal 5, whilst large, isn't particularly difficult to navigate. It's the most recent on terminals built at Heathrow and was designed with modern air travel in mind. In a perfect world your flights will all be on one ticket and with the flight for Venice leaving from T5 but my money is on it not being so.

Posted by
16241 posts

If you are on British Airways they only have one flight a day from Heathrow to Venice ( BA 578) and it departs from T5 at 8:50. Other Venice flights depart from Gatwick.

Assuming you are that flight and have a single ticket, you will follow the purple "flight connections" signs for connecting within T5 ( unless the departure terminal changes). The path takes to to 5A where you go through security and then wait in the departure area for the gate assignment for your Venice flight. Often it is not posted until one hour before departure time. The higher-numbered gates are in 5 B and 5 C and you take an underground transfer train to get there. It is all well-signed.

Posted by
533 posts

It's not terribly confusing once you get there. Just follow the signs - they'll point you where you need to go. A few notes on what to expect:

• You (probably) won't need to go through UK passport control or customs. The only exception (that I'm aware of) is if your flights are on separate reservations AND you have checked bags - then you'll have to go through immigration, claim your bags, take them through customs, then re-check them.

• On the other hand, you WILL have to go through security, with liquid screening requirements similar to those in the US. So if you've picked up any water bottles or other liquids en route, you'll need to either empty them, discard them, or pack them into a 3-1-1 bag. You'll pass through an area with lots of reminders of all this, but it's always good to be prepared, especially if your connection is tight.

• If your flight to Venice departs from Terminal 5 and you have a while to wait for it, you'll likely be waiting in a communal seating area, not by the gate. They probably won't even announce the gate until shortly before boarding. The main area in Terminal 5 has lots of shops and restaurants to keep you occupied while you wait. I know opinions differ on this, but I don't think it's at all a bad place to pass a couple of hours.

If you have any more specific questions, I'm happy to answer what I can.

Posted by
183 posts

You don't say what airline you are arriving on. BA international flights generally arrive in Terminal 5, but any codeshares (i.e., American) may arrive in 3. Depends upon whether your flight to Venice departs from the same terminal you arrive in - some inter-continental flights depart from 3; others from 5). If they're not the same, add about 30-45 minutes to your time as you'll need to take a bus between 3 and 5. Either way the procedure is basically the same - it is pretty well marked so just follow the signs. When you get closer to your travel date you can also go to the Heathrow web site and there's a link for connections. 5 is a nice terminal...at least it was my one time in it. 3 is a zoo.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks everyone for your advice- I’m more confident now about heathrow airport connection! This is so helpful!

Posted by
11294 posts

Do look at the link Frank II provided - it lays out all the steps and makes it easy.

Just a note of reassurance - assuming you're booked all on one ticket. My sister flew British Airways from Baltimore to Heathrow to Barcelona. Her flight from Baltimore was delayed 2 hours due to an electrical problem at Heathrow, so when she landed, her original flight to Barcelona was long departed. But, she was met at her arrival gate by a BA agent who handed her a boarding pass for her new flight. She had only 25 minutes, but she made it. So, as long as you're on one ticket, they will take care of you if there's a problem.