Please sign in to post.

Heathrow

My husband and I will be flying out of Heathrow in March. Could anyone recommend a hotel in the terminal or close by. We are flying United and weren't sure of the terminal number. Thank you!!

Posted by
27104 posts

I don't know whether all the United flights depart from the same terminal. Mine to Washington DC used T2.

I have twice stayed at the relatively new Premier Inn near T4 and used the tube to get from T4 to my actual departure terminal. There are other forms of airport transportation available as well. The tube gets you easily to the T1-2-3 stop, but I think you have to make a change if you are flying out of T5.

The hotel is about a 15-minute walk from the T4 tube station, a bit less from the terminal itself. You're going through an enclosed walkway. No need for off-airport transportation as long as you have wheeled luggage and no mobility issues.

I've posted about this hotel several times because its rates have been incredibly low for an airport hotel every time I've checked. I booked my September 9th stay two or three months ahead of time and paid £37.50 for a non-cancelable single. Refundable rates are somewhat higher. The rooms are not huge but they are perfectly fine as long as you aren't expecting a Marriott, etc. I'd rather spend my money doing things in London instead of on an expensive airport hotel.

Posted by
311 posts

Thank you!! We WILL be flying into Dulles and I will check out Premier Inn.

Posted by
5326 posts

Nearest hotels to T2 are along the Bath Road. Most of the major chains are there and offers are quite common especially out of season and the weekend. From this area use the normal London buses to the Central bus station; from all the close in hotels this will be free. If you are interested in watching, the Renaissance overlooks the runway ...

Posted by
8439 posts

We stayed at the Novotel on Bath Road - short shuttle ride away. Nothing memorable about it but cheap and convenient. Note that there aren't many (or any) restaurants around there so you need to taxi somewhere or stay at the hotel.

Posted by
8889 posts

Be aware Heathrow is really 3 airports. T2 and T3 in the centre of the airport, T4 in the south and T5 in the west. It takes a train to get from one set of terminals to another. A hotel that is convenient for one terminal may not be for another.

Most of the hotels are along the "Bath Road", which runs along the north side of the airport, not near any of the terminals and not near any station. It requires a taxi or a shuttle bus to get between these hotels and the terminals, or to get to these hotels from central London.

Posted by
311 posts

Thanks all! I am an airport geek so overlooking the runway is the best!!

Posted by
5326 posts

As a bit of history, the original Heathrow terminals, such as they were (really a collection of huts and marquees for individual airlines) were actually just off the Bath Road, roughly where the Renaissance is today. This ramshackle arrangement unbelievably lasted in some cases until 1961. The new terminals in the centre had no space available for hotels on site.

Posted by
927 posts

Are you traveling from some Hotel in London? Cause if you are, there really isn't any need to stay at a Hotel close to the airport. The Piccadilly Line gets you to either 123-5 or 123-4. Starts at 5 in the morning. If you are on the wrong train, ie T4 instead of T5, just get out at Hatten Cross Station and the next train will most likely be the one you want.

Posted by
311 posts

We will be driving up from Cornwall and returning a rental car at Heathrow. I just wanted to be able to have an enjoyable last nite but nothing fancy .
Thanks again for all the good information.

Posted by
5326 posts

The Pheasant is not far from the Bath Road, easy walking distance. Long time since I have been there, but recent reviews suggest it is still decent.

Further along the Bath Road towards Hounslow, near to the Doubletree, Moxy and Travelodge is Cafe Restaurante Moniz, which is a Portuguese restaurant. Somewhat tatty on the outside, but popular inside.

Posted by
304 posts

Jumping in to confirm that United flights to the U.S. are currently from Terminal 2. We always (several times a year) stay at the Renaissance our last night, being plane geeks also : )
And we second the recommendation for the Pheasant. An easy walk from the Renaissance and other nearby hotels.
And we always take the (free) city bus from the road right outside the Renaissance – you are at Heathrow (central bus station, between Terminals 1,2&3) within a few minutes.

Posted by
7661 posts

We stayed at the Heathrow Sheraton a few years ago. We rented a car from Thrifty and they have an office there where you can rent or turn in your car.

The price for the Sheraton was great and while the hotel is clearly past its prime, it was clean and had spacious rooms.

Posted by
27104 posts

The Sheraton does look like a decent possibility by airport-hotel standards, but today's rate seems to be about $85, whereas the Premier Inn rate is about $45. And the Premier Inn is relatively new. I'm glad to have two options I can afford at Heathrow.