Please sign in to post.

Heathrow

So I’m wondering what to do. My husband and I arrive in Heathrow a little after 10 pm. Should we take the Heathrow express to paddington station or Uber? We will be staying at Vancouver suites Bayswater. Not super far from Paddington station.

Posted by
316 posts

I definitely wouldn't bother with an Uber - most affordable (and normally faster) options are tube or the Elizabeth Line for Paddington, both being quite a bit cheaper than the Heathrow Express (unless you book the latter well in advance). You can pay by contactless card. At that time, and after a flight, I would then probably get a taxi from Paddington to the hotel, but you could take the tube to Bayswater.

Posted by
5859 posts

The last Elizabeth Line train is at 2356 to Paddington, so you should make that. TfL say it is a 9 minute walk from Bayswater station to the apartments.

There are later nightbuses, but there is an 0100 National Express Coach to London Victoria Coach Station, arrives 0150, then flag down a taxi.

Posted by
73 posts

I have stayed at Vancouver Studios. While it is walkable from Paddington, you will be tired and may not want to lug around your luggage at that time of night. A taxicab from Paddington to VS is about GBP 10. Make sure you check tube services at night if you decide to take the tube from Paddington to Bayswater. Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
15100 posts

Thereare a few options you can take to get from Heathrow to your hotel.

First, let's consider the time of day. It's late in the evening. Do you really want to be walking close to midnight, after a long flight, in an area you don't know?

If your plane arrives on time, you should be able to make the Heathrow Express or the Elisabeth line. Other tube options would include a change and I would forget those.

Unless you can get the discount tickets on the Heathrow express, the fare is ridiculously expensive. The Elizabeth line takes a few minutes longer and is much less money. You could take Uber, but then you'd have to find your car as they're only allowed to pick up a certain places.

The other option not mentioned is a car service. You pre-book this for a set price. They meet you as you come out of customs and will drop you off in front of Vancouver Studios.

My personal suggestion is Elizabeth Line to Paddington then taxi to the horel. Unless you have a lot of luggage then I might look into the car service.

By the way, if you had to buy two full price Heathrow Express tickets to Paddington and then a taxi to your hotel, the price would be similar to the private car service from Heathrow to your hotel.

Posted by
2745 posts

Since you don't say when you are arriving you might be able to get the Heathrow Express for less that the Elizabeth Line if it's a weekend with discounted tickets still an option. I 'd price that first

However, the Elizabeth line is great. Unlike the normal tube lines it's really set up for travelers. No stairs just escalators/elevators (lifts) and lots of room for luggage. I would definitely take that and either walk or cab to my hotel over the car service/taxi/uber options.

Posted by
5859 posts

Given that you are arriving at 2200 and the last Heathrow Express is at 2327, half an hour before the last Elizabeth line at 2356 you would be daft to commit to an advance purchase HE. If your flight was late, or immigration took a while, you could very conceivably end up missing the last HE, but catching the last Elizabeth Line or the later National Express at 0100 or uber or cab..

Far better to keep your options open.

Posted by
6 posts

Question: if we take a taxi from Paddington do they accept credit cards. Wasn’t planning to get British currency until the next day. I actually wasn’t planning to get much currency at all though. It sounds like it’s mainly cashless.

Posted by
2745 posts

I’ve never had a cab in London that did not take credit cards in the past 4 or 5 years

Posted by
15100 posts

They are supposed to take credit cards but confirm before you get in.

Posted by
8688 posts

OP you are welcome.

Hope you like the Vancouver Studios. Was my go to place to stay for years.

Posted by
29 posts

We just got back a week ago from our stay at Vancouver Studios. Both the District and (I believe) the Circle Lines run from Paddington to Bayswater Station however they may not be running that late at night. So perhaps a cab ride is in order from Paddington to the Hotel. The Elizabeth line has newer trains and is a comfy ride. The walk from Bayswater station to the hotel is not far at all. We found Vancouver Studios to be a great location for us esp with Bayswater station so close. We took the Circle or District lines to (practically) everywhere in the city. Try to get an upper floor room with the "garden view" as it will no doubt be quieter. They are restoring a building down the street and it can get a bit noisy at times. The staff were very friendly and accommodating and there will be someone there to greet you whatever time you arrive. Enjoy! We had a great time.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you!!! We are so excited we leave soon for London and Vancouver studios. This trip was planned over 3 years ago and unfortunately delayed. So we are ready. Love all the advice!