Please sign in to post.

Harry Potter lovers' London

This post is meant for all you Harry Potter nerds (like me) out there.

I am headed to London at the end of the month and want to see some of the HP fan sites because, well, it's the series that got me captivated with all things British in the first place.

This is my first time in London and I will only be there for 5 days -- so I will be working to fit a lot in, but I'm debating either going to see Cursed Child on stage (which is an all day affair for Parts 1 & 2) or just heading to Warner Bros. studio for a few hours. I have heard good things about Cursed Child but I'm torn because 1) it would mean sacrificing almost 1/5 of the trip and 2) when I read the play, it did not ring true with the series I grew up loving. I'm one of those fans who struggled with it, to say the least! Is it somehow different/worth it on stage, or are there equally worthwhile ways to celebrate Harry in London?!

Thanks in advance!
Lauren

Posted by
3245 posts

I would do both the Warner Brothers studio tour and Cursed Child if you can get tickets. I say this because, if you really are a Harry Potter Nerd, you will kick yourself for the rest of your life if you didn't. Eventually "Cursed Child" will come to American theatres, but wouldn't you love to say that you saw it in London?

Posted by
357 posts

If you can get tickets for the play at a reasonable price for you, I would recommend going. If you can get tickets for the evening performances that would free up your daytime hours.

If you read the script as a book, I can see why you are unsure. The special effects and the stage production are excellent. It really has to be seen.

I've done both the studio tour and seen the play. If you can do both, I would. They just added the Forbidden Forest this year. There is also the House of Minalima, a shop opened by a couple of the graphic artists from the film with things for sale. It is located near the theater where the play is performed.

Posted by
1172 posts

We spent 5 hours at the Studio when we visited and it was so awesome. If you can get tickets ( we bought ours 4 months ahead of time and some times slots were already sold out), I would for sure do the studios

If you're going at the end of the month, debating about whether to go to the play or the studio tour is pointless: what you should be focusing on at this point is trying to get tickets.

Studio tour tickets should be available, but but them now. They sell out very quickly and travel forums are full of people bemoaning that they left it too late.

As for the play, well good luck trying to get tickets if you decide to go... I think your chances are vanishingly small unless you've already got them. Pretty sure it's booked up well into next year unless you can manage to land one of the so-called Friday 40 tickets.

So don't spend any longer debating what to do - and buy those tickets now!

Posted by
32756 posts

I wouldn't worry too much about which to go to because you will be fighting to get either. Best probably to see what you can find for the actual days you will be here, and then go from there. I've heard from recent attendees at the studio that they had a hard time getting the time for there, and I go by what I read in the papers about the play, tickets for which are like gold dust.

Be very careful about tickets from a scammer reseller - the twin magazine to Consumers Reports - Which? - just did a story on resale sites. It wasn't very complimentary about any of them.

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks so much, everyone! Looking at the website... it doesn't look like tickets are too much of a problem. Maybe the crowds have died down a bit? I haven't made a decision yet but appreciate the feedback! The good news is--the original cast, who have stopped performing in London, are coming to Broadway in the spring. So there's always that to fall back on!

Posted by
9572 posts

Maybe see Part 1 of the play and then see Part 2 when it comes to the States? Then you will have had the experience of seeing part of it in London, but won't have to use up 1/5 of your trip time in the theater.

Posted by
11 posts

I'm going to London later this month and scheduled a walking tour with Tour for Muggles. I'm sure I could have done a self guided walk but wanted the fun of experiencing the sites with other fans. Also I did not think my husband would be thrilled with a full day studio tour. Even though I'm a huge fan, I have no plans to see cursed child as the script nearly ruined the whole series for me. Have fun!

Posted by
1113 posts

My kids and I are Harry Potter nerds and we spent about 5 hours at the studio. It's a self guided tour and you spend all the time you want to your heart's content. Entering the Great Hall was quite a thrill and just seeing all the props and costumes was such a great experience. Get tickets as soon as you can. Follow directions on their website for public transportation, it's very easy to get there.

As far as Cursed Child, I couldn't even get to the second chapter when I tried to read it. I would like to see the play though. Did you know that they are releasing the tickets for October of next year already?! That is how far in advance you need to get the tickets unless you are very lucky so I think your odds are better to do the studio tour.

Posted by
20 posts

I'm glad to see some others agree that you can be a die-hard fan and hate the Cursed Child manuscript. However... I ended up buying tickets to Cursed Child. Lol! There weren't a TON left, but I had no problem and actually ended up with good seats. So those of you who want to go but think you can't... you can! I ultimately made the decision because, for every negative review of the manuscript, there are just as many 5 star reviews of the play. Even J.K. said it's meant to be a play. And who doesn't love going to a good show?! We probably won't have time to do both the play and the studio this trip -- but there's another reason to go back! Thanks again all!

Posted by
357 posts

I'm glad you got tickets for the play. I don't even remember some parts of the plot, but I remember the production and it is nothing but WOW.

Posted by
1113 posts

Lauren, how did you get tickets for the play?! I'm so excited for you!

Posted by
330 posts

Hi,
I would love to know too about how you got the tickets.
I have been trying but no luck.
Only tickets are at 240-250 pounds.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Posted by
357 posts

Keep checking availability at www.harrypottertheplay.com.

They are the only legitimate site you can purchase tickets for the play. Tickets have been sold out pretty much since they were released, but as an example, I just saw Parts 1 and 2 for £85 for next Wednesday. Limited view, but still good, or £250 for seats in the stalls.

Posted by
20 posts

I used the "official" website above.

I bought them about a week and a half ago, though, and there was limited availability then. I also had to splurge.

I did notice that of the two options on the website, Nimax had more tickets available (and was easier to navigate).

BUT... my sister says they do a ticket release every Friday at 1 -- 40 tickets to shows the following week for 40 pounds each. Maybe try that? Her friend got tickets that way.

Posted by
20 posts

Prices may also depend on whether you choose to sit in the stalls are up top -- so make sure you specify! I've heard there's not really a bad seat in the house.