Please sign in to post.

Hadrian's Wall to celebrate 1900 years in 2022

I've just received an email from Historic England (I subscribe to their updates) announcing 12 months of events and activities to mark 1900 years since Hadrian's Wall was built. Wish I could go --- but I hope some of you will be able to, and let us know about your experiences!

https://1900.hadrianswallcountry.co.uk/

Posted by
7661 posts

We visited the wall in 2017, or what is left of it. It was at best knee high. However, driving around the countryside in that area of Northern England you could see a plethora of stone walls. My wife kept joking, pointing to all the walls saying, there's Hadrian's Wall.

Posted by
3122 posts

To the "what is left of it" comment above, Wikipedia explains:

Much of the wall has now disappeared. Long sections of it were used for roadbuilding in the 18th century,[31] especially by General Wade to build a military road (most of which lies beneath the present day B6318 "Military Road") to move troops to crush the Jacobite rising of 1745. The preservation of much of what remains can be credited to the antiquarian John Clayton. He trained as a lawyer and became town clerk of Newcastle in the 1830s. He became enthusiastic about preserving the wall after a visit to Chesters. To prevent farmers taking stones from the wall, he began buying some of the land on which the wall stood.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadrian%27s_Wall

Posted by
740 posts

We did the Hadrians Wall walk in 2018. Started in Bowness on Solway and ended at Newcastle. Was great. Had our BnBs all arranged, and our bags brought forward each day. Walked about 15 miles a day. 6 days.
Didi it in May. Weather was fantastic.
I would recommend this to anyone.
West to east is with the prevailing wind. Not an issue. East to west has you end in Solway. A much better ending than the end in Newcastle. In Newcastle the end of the walk is anticlimactic. When ending in Solway it is truly an end and as you go west the scenery is better. You end right on the water.

Posted by
7661 posts

We still enjoyed visiting Hadrian's Wall and watching it extend over the hills and valleys. Still, the Great Wall of China was still intact (at least the section we visited in 2012),

Some of preserved walls in Istanbul are worth visiting as well.

Posted by
740 posts

As regards these posts about the lack of the wall. There is quite a bit of wall, both in length and breadth on the western half. It is not knee high. You can't simply see it from the road. If you were to walk near the highest point of the wall which is near the famous tree in a valley, you would see the best part.

Posted by
8367 posts

My visit to Hadrian's wall is a fond memory for me. I took the time to learn about it and hire a guide (Peter Carney) who took me to some of the best sections of the wall for walking. I think the wall is like most places. The more you know about it, the more that you enjoy and appreciate it.

Posted by
3122 posts

I visited and walked part of the wall in 1985, loved every minute of it and took gorgeous photos (with 35mm slide film, now as much of an ancient relic as the wall itself, LOL). I remembered it being quite a lot higher than my knees.

I would love love love to be able to do the entire walk across England!

Posted by
2456 posts

I can't resist reminding us that Hadrian and his uncle Trajan were from Sevilla,
so his wall could be considered an antecedent in the reverse direction of the English leisurely occupation of southern Spain today.