Please sign in to post.

Hadrian's Wall

We will be traveling with out a car and would like to book a day trip guided tour of Hadrian's Wall out of York or Edinburgh. Suggestions?

Posted by
7360 posts

A few years ago, we hiked the length of the Wall, coast to coast, so we didn’t hire a specific tour company. We did take guided tours offered at particular sites, like Chester’s Fort and at Vindolanda. Those weren’t prearranged, and we just signed up when we reached the place.

I wonder, are you looking for a tour where you’d be traveling in your car? Maybe with a guide riding along?

Posted by
631 posts

+1 to post #1.

March 2022 I did the Hadrian’s Wall and Borders tour with Rabbie’s from Edinburgh. Excellent tour. Nice tour of Roman sites plus got in some 16th century history too. I especially liked the small group tour size.

Posted by
1835 posts

I've never come across a day tour from York to Hadrian's Wall - there are so many closer placces to visit...

I think your only option would be Rabbies from Edinburgh...

Posted by
876 posts

Surely you could take an early train from either York or Edinburgh to Newcastle for a Peter Carney tour?

Posted by
1835 posts

take an early train from either York or Edinburgh to Newcastle for a Peter Carney tour?

Check out the prices for this as a Newcastle pick up adds £100 to the cost of the tour....

Posted by
5748 posts

RE-Peter Carney- So from Edinburgh take the 0652 train from Edinburgh to Carlisle - arrives 0805, then the 0820 to Haltwhistle or Hexham (in to HW at 0850, Hexham about 0910). Carlisle to Hexham is £2.40 advance single each on the train- beats paying him £125 to meet you at Carlisle.
Likewise from York- early train to Newcastle, then train every half hour to Hexham- £2.30 advance single for the 30 to 40 minute journey- far less than his £100 pick up fee.

The 0635 from York gets you to Hexham at 0837.

Fare from York to Hexham booked ahead is between £19 and £25 each way, Edinburgh to Hexham is between £12 and £15 advance singles (the lower fare being on the 0612 which gets you to HW and Hexham 20 minutes earlier).

Very easy.