Please sign in to post.

Greenwich

We are going to spend a 1/2 day wandering around Greenwich. We'll take the City Cruises boat from Westminister. I have two questions:

1. What is the best way to return from Greenwich...we want to end up at the Ben Franklin House near Charing Cross Station. It seems we can take a DLR or Southeastern alone or with tube. What is the cheapest most efficient way? I couldn't figure out the southeastern cost or if you have to prepurchase tickets.

2. Does anyone have tried and true place to quickly stand on the Prime Meridian...without having to pay to go in museum and stand in line? I've seen a few mentions of a place behind the museum but not sure if directions were good enough or recent enough to actually duplicate.

Thanks!

Posted by
8391 posts

Just wanted to add a few locations I really enjoyed at Greenwich. The Cutty Sark was surprisingly interesting. My Grandfather attended the Royal Hospital School there and it was special to walk the area and see the special photos in the Queen's House. Don't miss the Royal Naval College.

This blog post may help you determine where to get your picture taken
https://www.ottsworld.com/blogs/how-to-photograph-the-prime-meridian-line-for-free/

Posted by
5836 posts

We walked under the Thames River (Greenwich Foot Tunnel) to the DLR Island Gardens station.

Pay for the museum. It's worth it.

Posted by
16299 posts

We walked to Greenwich from our rental flat near Tower Bridge. We had a book on the Thames Path and historic sites on the way. . When we found and crossed the Prime Meridian, we took the photo. Then we caught the Thames Clipper, not a tour boat, back.

Posted by
8889 posts

It seems we can take a DLR or Southeastern alone or with tube.

I am assuming you will have an Oyster card, in which case it doesn't matter if you take the tube, DLR or train, all the same.
Oyster is valid on all trains in London, no need to get an extra ticket for Southeastern.
There is also bus as an option. I did that once, takes forever - don't.

I would recommend the DLR because I like the elevated section, the contrast between the new buildings in the former docks at Canary wharf, and the old east end housing surrounding them.
The DLR is driverless, if you are lucky you can get the front seat and see out the front window.

Posted by
5327 posts

The trains from Greenwich used to go all the way into Charing Cross which would have been very convenient for you, but now this would normally require a change at London Bridge.

Posted by
11294 posts

I agree that it's worth paying for the Royal Observatory. If you get a combo ticket with the Cutty Sark, and if you buy that online in advance, you get a big discount.

The trick I learned is that the morning of your visit is far enough "in advance." So, if you're even thinking you may want to do this, go to the website now and create an account (MUCH easier on a computer than on a phone!). Then, on the day you go to Greenwich, you can just buy the ticket on your phone. I printed out the tickets at my hotel, but once I got there, I learned they could have scanned them off my phone.

Ticket website: https://www.rmg.co.uk/plan-your-visit/tickets-prices

If you don't pay for the Observatory, there is a small area where you can stand on the Prime Meridian without paying. Since the PM hasn't moved, the "old" directions will still work - unless they've closed off that area since I was there in September 2018. I see the prices have gone up since my visit, so anything's possible.

Posted by
4684 posts

There is a Prime Meridian sign quite close to where I live in Waltham Forest. Take the Victoria Line tube or London Overground to Walthamstow Central Station. Get a 275 bus towards Barkingside. Get off at the Wadham Road stop. Walk back towards the bridge over the freeway that the bus just passed over and there is a paving stone set into the sidewalk on the same side of the road with the meridian line marked on it.