Please sign in to post.

Globe Theatre

DH and I would love to see a performance there. Much Ado About Nothing will be on in October. I know that they sell out most of the time, and I will need to book in advance, but how far in advance? 6 months? 3 months? The week before? I'd hate to be stuck with non refundable tickets if something unforseen happens and the trip gets cancelled.

Book when they come on sale. If you've got your heart set on it, there's no sense in being disappointed.

What's the likelihood of the trip being cancelled? And how big a cost are the Globe tickets as a percentage of that?

Posted by
1279 posts

There's no easy answer to this one. The longer you leave it the less chance you have of getting tickets and even if you can get tickets later on you possibly won't have much choice of where they are. My advice would be sooner rather than later.

You may want to stand as a 'groundling', but personally, being of advancing years I prefer to sit (groundlings will be standing a long time as a rule, which is fine if you are young, supple and don't have arthritis!). Usually we get seats in the lower tier, just behind the standing area which gives us the best of both worlds - again there aren't many of these seats so they book up quite early. The seats in true Shakespearean style are wooden and basic, but you can hire a cushion and a collapsible back rest, which in my opinion is money well spent!

If you can't get in the Globe proper, then if there's anything on at the adjoining Wanamaker Theatre - a reproduction of a Jacobean theatre, I can thoroughly recommend that - marvellous!

That said, the Globe is wonderful and we've thoroughly enjoyed every production we've seen there. It is open to the elements so you will possibly feel the benefit of a warm outer layer especially in October and if the weather is unkind, a waterproof.

Hope you have a wonderful time there.

Ian

Posted by
533 posts

Tickets for October are on sale now. Checking a few random October dates, I see that - though they're nowhere close to being sold out - a good portion of the seats have been sold already. And since you pick your seat when you buy your ticket, the most desirable seats sell first.

If you know what day you'd like to go, buy your tickets now.

Posted by
4847 posts

Thank you all. And I guess it's true that compared to the overall cost of a month long trip, a pair of tickets to a play are small change. There's no way on God's great Earth that this Grandma could last an entire performance as a groundling. Lol. Will try to book in the next few days, then.