Please sign in to post.

Glasgow?

I'm in the process of planning a trip for next year. We will start in Edinburgh (been there many years ago). Never been to Glasgow. Would you recommend spending several days there? I see there are some nice museums - information on line, I believe, says it's bigger than Edinburgh. Is it a good place to stay for awhile and walk and enjoy being there or too hectic? Thanks.

Posted by
2107 posts

There's lots to see in Glasgow, but how long you stay there will depend on your interests. There are nice museums and going to the Barrows flea market is always fun. The Horse Shoe pub is also fun. Glasgow is more "working class" than Edinburgh and doesn't have a castle and the Royal Mile.

How will you be traveling? We had a car, but avoided driving in Edinburgh and Glasgow. We had a great time staying on a dairy farm in Uplawmoor, a 20 minute commute by train to Glasgow. We spent two days there, including our ancestral home in Finlayston.

My great grandfather grew up in Glasgow. Since our trip, we've found his old address. On the next trip we'll look it up and go by there.

BTW, there is a section dedicated to Scotland. You might want to post there as well if you haven't already done so.

Posted by
27063 posts

I spent considerable time in Glasgow during my trip to Scotland in July. I liked it a lot. It's a lot less touristy than Edinburgh, and I enjoyed tracking down the various Charles Rennie Mackintosh/Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh sites. Those included a day-trip to Helensburgh to see the Hill House. I found the city quite architecturally interesting.

Posted by
1446 posts

Thanks for your comments. We would not plan to have a car in Edinburgh or Glasgow - sounds like the way to do it. Like the idea that it's less touristy.

Posted by
1446 posts

No, I didn't realize there was a Scotland section to post on. Thanks.

Posted by
4511 posts

The University of Glasgow and the adjacent Kelvingrove Museum form an impressive collection of buildings. The contents of the Kelvingrove are hit and miss, eclectic, but it's free so can't complain.

Lots of mainland European emigrants sailed from Glasgow so you may have a personal angle. Those docks were just west of town, and also more farther downstream. https://www.flickr.com/photos/clearwood/21836687435

Posted by
69 posts

Myself and my wife had a nice few days there in February, She enjoyed the shopping, while I tend to go off on my own exploring. We found it less touristy and more of a working city than Edinburgh.
We booked a tour of the Tennents brewery. But have a look at the reviews, there are days when nothing runs, and is down for maintenance I think weekends and Friday afternoons.
Just around the corner is the Nacropolis, which is a graveyard on a hill. I had my reservations but found it fascinating. Very ornate tombs and a great view from the top. Right next to it is Glasgow cathedral, you can just walk in, plenty of tourists looking around it.
On a rainy day we went to the Botanical gardens at Hillhead. large glasshouses with Cacti, jungle type and other types of plants, warm and dry, ideal for a rainy day. You can get there on the underground railway from the centre, a must do. Like a toy train compared to London but great for getting around.