Please sign in to post.

Gibraltar

Thinking of taking in Gibraltar after our stay in Tarifa.
Staying in Tarifa two nights:
• Arrival night after drive from Jerez.
• And night after visiting Tangier.
Next morning haul for Gibraltar, park outside (bags in car), and just walk in and check things out.
I hear cars are a pain inside, but also worried about our belongings if no hotel.
So…..
Can Gibraltar be a pass through (day trip) on to somewhere else, or do we need to overnight?
And is it worth it?

After we will either head direct to Ronda, or via some coast on way (as far as Marbella).
Ronda is planned for a day or two in town and a day trip to Zahara and Grazalema.

Posted by
797 posts

I spent three nights in Gibraltar, flying in from the UK. Two full and two half days. Definitely worth the time to me - explored the Rock thoroughly with the Siege Tunnels, WWII tunnels and installations, apes, Mediterranean Steps hike, cable car, Windsor Suspension Bridge, Caves, and Europa Point and "city" center of Gibraltar.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the historic Rock Hotel. This was 2019.

I think only you and traveling companion can answer the question of "is it worth it" for you. I like to hike and was there in September - perfect weather. Time of year might make a big difference. Also, the port, at least pre-Covid, did get huge cruise ships. With the time I had available, I avoided the big tourist crunches at places like the cable car. I was so interested in Gibraltar that I purposely avoided including it on a Spain tour itinerary - I wanted a stand alone visit.

Posted by
6597 posts

There’s a lot of history to Gibraltar so depending on what all you want to see, you could spend a night there. Most people visit to go up the rock, see the apes, and leave. If that’s all you want to do, then it can be done as a stop between two points. On both my trips, we spent a couple hours then left. If you wanted to visit the tunnels or walk the main tourist area, then you might want to consider spending the night.

Whether it’s worth it is a personal opinion. I wouldn’t go out of my way to visit, but if I was driving in the area, then I would. If you feel you’d regret not visiting it, by all means, visit it.