Please sign in to post.

Getting around London

Hello! We will be traveling in Europe this summer and will be spending for about 3.5 days in London (we arrive on June 16th at 11am and leave around 8pm on the 19th). Since we are in Europe for 25 days we are trying to stick to a budget. What is the best and most economical way for our family (2 adults, 2 kids ages 10 and 12) to get around London? We will be staying just north of Hyde Park. We are completely comfort using the subways, having done it in NYC and DC. And my husband and I used the tube when we were in London about 15 years ago. Is the tube still the best way to get around? And if so, is it better to buy one of those multi-day passes or just get tickets for a single day at a time? Also, does London have some kind of city pass that combines some of the attractions with transportation, and if so, which one is the best value? Thank you in advance for your suggestions/advice!

Posted by
4857 posts

The best way to get around London is by using the Underground and buses. These will get you to all the typical tourist sites and more. Get an Oyster card for each person and load money on to each one. This is less expensive, and much easier than buying individual tickets. Buy them at the Underground station at Heathrow when you arrive. At the end of your stay you can have any remaining money refunded (or keep the cards for your next trip). This site: https://tfl.gov.uk tells you everything you need you know about public transportation in London. Look under "fares and payments" to learn about the Oyster cards. Also, the Plan a Journey feature will be invaluable during your stay. We used it multiple times every day.

As for attraction passes - there is a London Pass that covers some attractions. But it's expensive. You'll need to do the math, adding up the cost of the attractions you want to see, to determine if it would give you a cost saving. Many sites in London, like the big museums, are free, only asking for donations. I've lost track of the number of times we've been to London, and we've never bought a London Pass.

Posted by
8889 posts

Yes, use the tube, and sometimes the buses for shorter distances or if you want to look out of the window while travelling.

As for tickets, the answer is an Oyster Card. When you arrive (for example at Heathrow Airport, buy an Oyster card per person (£5) and add credit top each card (start with ~£20-30 per card). This acts like a pre-paid debit card for use on all public transport in London. When you enter the tube, use the card to open the turnstile, and again when you exit. For buses, you just tap it when you get on. With a little practice you can pass through the turnstiles without slowing down, like a real Londoner.
But the good bit is Oyster fares are about half what you would pay to buy single tickets, and you can't even buy cash tickets on a bus. PLUS, when you reach the cost of a one day pass, it automatically "caps" and stops charging you, all remaining trips on that day are free.

Info here: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/ways-to-pay/pay-as-you-go
Children get a special card for which you need a photo. Details here: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/travel-for-under-18s/zip-oyster-photocards

When you leave, you can get any remaining credit and your £5 deposit back.

Posted by
1325 posts

The ten year old can travel for free, you can have a young visitor discount applied for your 12 year old. Just ask at a staffed ticket office. The Oyster card is your best value for the adults and the 12 year old with the young visitor discount, I'd add about 20 pounds each for the adults and ten or so for the 12 year old and just pay as you go. You can get a refund for Oyster cards after 48 hours when you leave, they'll refund the 5 pound deposit along with any unused funds up to ten pounds. With 3.5 days, using the tube and/or busses, you won't save with a transit pass.
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/travel-for-under-18s/travelling-with-children

There is the London pass which claims to save money on attractions. However, for a short trip, it isn't usually considered good value as you need to have a very aggressive sightseeing schedule which may impossible with two kids. It usually works best for a solo traveller on a longer visit and bought at one of their numerous sales. Most of the major museums are free, with donations happily accepted. What are you planning to see? Most kids love the Tower of London and it is also excellent for adults. It's an expensive attraction, but I think it is well worth the money and worth half a day or so. If they're into Harry Potter, there are Potter themed walking tours from London Walks www.walks.com

Posted by
1943 posts

Oyster Cards and buses and Underground is your best bet around London. My only suggestion would be to take a bus ride and not use the subway all the time. The kids will see more of London and while not always faster, it's a bit more pleasant than being squashed like sardines on the Tube.

Posted by
8669 posts

You won’t be packed like sardines on the tube if you avoid commuter times 6am-9am 4pm-6pm. I also find by taking a car towards the end of the train is less populated.

Busses are great, though slower. With kids rid up top. Nearly floor to ceilings windows to look out.

Use the https://tfl.gov.uk To plan your routes.