Please sign in to post.

Getting around

We'll be in London for several days (5) - I am planning to get a $40 oyster card for both of us
We plan to go to Liverpool and Cambridge after that. Should i purchase Britt Rail passes for those trips?

Posted by
114 posts

Hi! I wouldn’t bother with an Oyster card. If you have a chip and pin (contactless) debit or credit card (either as a plastic card, or loaded on your phone) you can just tap and go. Instructions here: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-and-where-to-buy-tickets-and-oyster/pay-as-you-go/contactless-and-mobile-pay-as-you-go

(Each traveler needs their own card - you can’t tap in and then tap your partner in.)

I haven’t used a BritRail pass in eons, so will let others help with that one! :-)

Posted by
7317 posts

If those are your only two journeys then point to point tickets will be cheaper than Britrail.
In particular If you are going from Liverpool to Cambridge direct buy your tickets from the Scotrail website.
They will split your tickets without charging commission to do so, saving you up to £65 just on that one journey.