Please sign in to post.

gatwick to central London...

hello all,
My wife and I are going to London (and environs) for 10 days, June 5 to June 14. Though "widely spaced" 1977 and 1990-- I have been in London before--my wife, never. We will be at about 10:30 in the morning I guess at Gatwick-- and YES I know about the Gatwick express train that takes you to Victoria Station. did that in 1990... But my questions concern two things: 1) should I try and get Gatwick tickets BEFORE we go? and round trip? We will be taking a nonstop flight from Oakland, CA on British airways--about 11-12 hours. now, back I990 my hotel was very near Victoria. Now, we'll be staying at Strand Palace Hotel -- about a mile and a half away from the rail station... my wife and I are walkers BUT maybe not so much after a long flight so question two is how do we get to the hotel? taxi? Tube ? (I got us Oyster cards)
thanks so much
Eric

Posted by
11191 posts

After 11+ hours on a plane plus the train ride, a 30 minute walk ( if the weather is nice) is not the worst thing to consider.

May depend on how much baggage you have

Posted by
5533 posts

I wouldn’t want to walk from Victoria Station to Strand with luggage after an overnight flight. Switch to the tube (circle or district) and take it to either Embankment or Temple. You will still have to walk a couple of blocks.

Posted by
13968 posts

I use the Victoria Tube station a lot and it is always jammed. After the long flight from the West Coast, I'd pop for a taxi. Follow the signs to the taxi rank.

Posted by
32813 posts

the 11 bus mentioned by Lola is just so easy. Get off at Southampton Street Covent Garden and walk a couple of minutes in the same direction the bus goes. It will be on the left, the same side you are on. It is the first stop properly in The Strand, and will be announced on the interior display as well as by the metal voice. Tap in when you get on the bus but you don't tap out on the bus.

Posted by
1323 posts

Using the journey planner I found you should use the ThamesLink to London Bridge. The current schedule doesn't cover your dates, but I tried another Tuesday. Try it yourself to see if you are more comfortable with many changes or with a longer walk.

Posted by
4862 posts

Considering all the logistics involved, and having luggage to haul around, have you considered a private car service? After a long flight, being sleepy, and probably having some jet lag, there is nothing better than having a private driver meet you inside the terminal and take you door to door to your hotel. It is not the cheapest way, but it is definitely the best. And by the time you add up all the expenses for two people from the airport to the hotel, a private car service may not be that much more. Just something to consider.