Please sign in to post.

Gatwick express tickets

Hello all,

well, it's exactly two months from when my wife and I will got to London--actual arrival will be 5 June. I'd like to "prebuy" Gatwick express tickets now on line--and for coming back, too, June 14.

The problem is where to buy online--is Visit Britain the best site for that? I mean, there are many sites "Ticmate" London tickets international, eurotickets, etc. Some, I fear, might not be reliable--especially those sites loudly proclaiming great discounts so, in that context, where can I get Gatwick express tickets for myself and my wife?
thanks

Eric

Posted by
1069 posts

As posted by Jazz, always buy from the operating companies and ignore 3rd party resellers.

Posted by
32776 posts

As said above, always go to the horse's mouth.

Posted by
3101 posts

Did you know that if you have return tickets on the Gatwick Express, you can use them for the Days Out 2-4-1 offers during your stay in London?

https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/travel-by-train/is-my-ticket-valid-for-2for1

But they must have the National Rail logo ON the ticket, so be careful what you buy. Buying from the Gatwick Express website should be OK, but you may need to select "collect at the station". Or maybe the print at home tix will have the logo too.

There must be some tickets without the logo as they expressly list that Gatwick Express tickets without the National Rail logo under the "not valid for 2-4-1 offers" section.

Whatever you buy, make sure you hold on to the inbound ticket as proof. Use a manned turnstile or gate tomexit the track area, and tell the attendant you need to keep the ticket. If you put it in the regular turnstile to exit it will be gone.

Posted by
22 posts

so, you are saying we be getting only TWO tickets--one for me and one for my wife-- instead of FOUR two inbound (to Victoria) and two outbound (back to gatwick, and the US)

and we'd be getting e-tickets, not "physical ones" ( like the Oyster card, which we have)

Posted by
16293 posts

On the Gatwick Express website, you can choose between "print at home" or "pick up at the station."

If the latter, you take the confirmation code and your credit card used for the purchase, put them in the ticket matching and follow the prompts. It should print out four regular-size paper tickets (the size of credit cards) one for each leg of the journey per person. And a receipt card.

If you choose print at home, you print it on a regular size sheet of paper. I don't know what you will get for the Gatwick Express. We do this for the Heathrow Express and get one ticket with all four journeys (inbound and return x2) on one sheet of paper. Make sure it has the National Rail logo on it if you want to use your round-tripmticket for 2-4-1 offers. ( But Indon't know how you can figure this out before purchasing the ticket).

Posted by
53 posts

Is the cost savings significant enough for it to be worth it to pre-order Gatwick Express tickets versus buying them at the station? Just wondering, I'll be taking the Gatwick Express at the end of May into London.

Posted by
5326 posts

The advantage really is not having to join the chaos that often reigns around buying tickets at Gatwick at busy times. Hence print at home rather than collect.