Please sign in to post.

Gatwick Connection

We are making our own connection between Delta and BA coming into Gatwick from the US. Is 90 minutes enough to collect our luggage and meet a flight to Edinburgh?

Posted by
8293 posts

Arriving at Gatwick from Montreal, there was an interminable walk to Immigration. It just went on and on until I thought I would drop. Then it took us about 45 minutes to get through Immigration. We had a driver waiting for us and we were relieved to see that he had not given up on us. Even if your Delta flight lands on time (big if) you would have to be very lucky, very lucky, to make your connection, especially since you have to pick up your checked luggage.

Posted by
32839 posts

I don't know of Delta as an airline with a presence at Gatwick.

BA is moving gates and terminal.

Are you sure you have it right?

regardless, I'd never expect to make my own connection especially from overseas, in less than 3 hours....

Posted by
5332 posts

Delta has code shares on Virgin into Gatwick - is that it maybe?

If so, there will be a terminal change as well to take into account - although VS and BA are each swapping round terminals later this month with BA ending up in the South and VS in the North. Forget 1.5 hours.

Posted by
6113 posts

You need to allow three hours plus whatever risk factor you are happy with to live with for potential delays arriving into London. You would have been better booking a through ticket so that the risk was the airline's, not yours.

Posted by
4533 posts

You would have been better booking a through ticket so that the risk was the airline's, not yours.

It would have been even better not using London as a gateway to Scotland.

It's worth reading up on strategies for dealing with missing your flight. There's always a chance a legacy carrier like BA will accommodate you on another flight for free. Some strategies

Posted by
66 posts

Sorry my mistake we are coming in on Virgin Atlantic, I booked the flight through Delta.

Posted by
5332 posts

BA checkin closes 45 minutes before take off time and you also need to be through security 35 minutes before take off time.

From your VS flight you would need to clear immigration, collect bags, and use the shuttle from North to South. Gatwick North has some amazingly long gate corridors that send you up high as planes pass underneath. Doing all that in 45 minutes looks wildly optimistic to me,

Posted by
66 posts

Thanks for all the advise. Looks like the train it is. We should enjoy the trip up through England!