Please sign in to post.

Football in London

Will be there March 16-23 with our 2 adult sons. Have been to La Liga games in Spain and want to catch a Premier League match if we can. Any advice as to best way to get tickets, stadiums, how to get to the games, etc. is appreciated.

Posted by
993 posts

We went to an Arsenal game last summer - I think I just got tickets on their website and it wasn't too expensive (wasn't super in-season though). We took the tube to the stadium, very easy!

Posted by
693 posts

Chelsea, Crystal Palace and Spurs are the only London based clubs with home games on 19 March. Your chances of getting tickets for Chelsea and Spurs home games through their club box offices are virtually nil as season ticket holders and members will almost certainly take the entire allocation. Even Crystal Palace are selling out nearly all games without going to general sale. Sometimes clubs have expensive hospitality packages that you can get even when no regular tickets are for sale and these include a pre or post match meal and sometimes a talk by a famous ex player. These are EXPENSIVE

You can find links to club ticket sales at the following EPL link:
http://m.premierleague.com/en-gb/tickets.html

If you cannot get tickets through the club ticket office you could look at paying (usually) inflated prices on a site such as viagogo.

Another option would be to go and watch a Championship game (second division) as it is usually not as hard to get tickets (although they are still fairly pricey) and the quality is still quite high. The only London based club with a game at home when you are in London is Brentford FC, not far from Brentford station. On 19 March they are playing Blacburn Rovers who have been in the Premier League until fairly recently. Ticket sales for Brentford are at

https://tickets.brentfordfc.co.uk/PagesPublic/ProductBrowse/productHome.aspx

Posted by
544 posts

Tickets are not on sale yet for the March 19th matches. Chelsea v. West Ham tickets go live at 7AM on 2/22 (11pm on 2/21 pacific time). Tottenham v. Bournemouth tickets go on sale 2/18 at 9:30AM (1:30AM Pacific time).

If you jump online the moment tickets go on sale (to non-members), you'll have a very good chance of purchasing tickets. It's a good idea to have more than one of you get online at the same time to see who gets through first.

Also consider buying seats two and two or other alternatives instead of trying to get all four together.

I did this for Tottenham v. Liverpool last October. It was very fun, even though the match ended in a 0-0 draw. They only serve 3.8 beer and only allow it in the corridors, not at the seats.

It can be a long wait to get into the train station after the match. My friend and I just walked to the next station instead, but it took so long we probably could have just waited.

Posted by
6113 posts

Buying tickets other than from the club directly online is not recommended and don't pay more than face value.

Look at Championship matches, as Premiership matches may be changed to allow for TV coverage and the actual date won't be known until 3 weeks out. Championship matches won't change.

Use public transport to get to and from the ground, but be prepared for queues to get back into central London at the end of the match.