Please sign in to post.

Food Recomendations - London Sunday May 2024

I am headed to London in May, and will be arriving at Heathrow mid-afternoon on Sunday the 12th. My hostel is in Soho, just off Oxford St (between Oxford Circus and Tottenham Court Rd Tube stops). By the time I arrive in London it will be closer to dinnertime (for me at least), and would love some recommendations for reasonably priced places to grab dinner. I realize that some places close earlier on Sundays or stop serving after lunch (and the hostel has a self catering kitchen), but I would prefer to have a sit down meal.

Posted by
673 posts

We enjoy the Ivy Soho Brasserie .
They serve straight through the day, including Sundays. We have always found it advisable to make a reservation even if just earlier in the same day we want to dine, as we have seen walk up customers turned away for lack of tables.
We first heard about the Ivy from one of our London Walks tour guides. Have the iced berries for dessert!

Posted by
7909 posts

Just about any pub will be serving food well into the evening, as will many restaurants, especially in London. I do not think the "places close early on Sunday" applies to many eating places in London, you will have lots of options. Soho is chock full of ethnic and trendy restaurants, few closing before 8:00 PM, most until 10:00 PM.

Posted by
7799 posts

Sunday is an opportunity a classic English Sunday Roast (beef or pork. Yorkshire pudding, potatoes, gravy, veggies. the works. We had one a couple years ago outside co if London, so I can’t give a specific recommendation, but enter “Sunday Roast” in the search box on this Website, and you’ll get some suggestions. Many pubs around Soho likely offer good weekly treat, probably for not too many pounds.

Posted by
7909 posts

I typically agree with the idea of a Sunday Roast, but with a mid-afternoon arrival, time to get to the Hostel, settled, then heading out for something to eat, you may be a bit late for a roast. You can try, but selection may have diminished, and some places may have run out or stopped serving. Roasts are usually an early to mid-afternoon thing. I guess something to look for, but don't get your hopes up.

Posted by
1207 posts

If you're in Soho you have a wealth of choice if you like Chinese. Lido on Gerard Street is good, if quite traditional.

Off the top of my head, some others you can Google

Il Cucciolo - Old Compton Street (Italian)

Poppie's - Old Compton Street (Fish and chips)

Chicken Shop - Wardour Street (Fried chicken)

40 Dean Street - Dean Street (duh) Italian

Bar Italia - Frith Street (Italian)

There's literally hundreds more. Soho is absolutely stacked with places to eat. I like local chain burrito (Mission style) place Tortilla in Wardour Street, the original branch of Pizza Express is in Dean Street and Honest Burger is a quality London gourmet burger chain with a branch in Brewer Street.

Posted by
14 posts

Many thanks for the suggestions so far. As much as I love a Sunday roast, my past experience traveling to the UK has also shown that places tend to serve it earlier/run out as someone said.