Is $700 round trip from Seattle WA to London in May a good price for 1 adult? Trying to decide if I should buy now and risk the possibility of not being able to travel next spring due to Covid or if I should wait and see how things go this fall with the virus... Has anyone else travelled from Seattle to London; comparable prices?
As long as you are not in a dog crate in the cargo hold that looks good, price wise.
What kind of rules apply regarding changes/cancellation?
Nonstop? What airline?
Price sounds great, but pay attention to the fine print for cancellations, refunds and "amenities."
I think anything under $1000 for nonstop on that route is a good price. Last time I did it was in May-June of 2016 on British Airways.
Is this fare you see directly from an airline, or is it through one of the cheap fair third party sites?
I travel the Seattle -London route and that appears to be a good price. I would want the flight to be non-stop and include luggage for that price and would only buy directly from the airline. The lowest I have flown BA round trip Seattle-London Is for $600 and Iceland Air round trip for $450. Iceland Air involves a short stop in Iceland that was not an issue for me. Remember those are the lowest prices I have ever found, not necessarily the average price.
A word of caution. Everything about travel is changing. I don’t know what we can really expect on flight prices in the future as airlines struggle to stay afloat. If you feel this price is fair ( I would feel that way) , you understand and could live with current refund policies of the airline, you know if they are going to charge you to select a seat or luggage, and you are confident in your dates, I would go ahead with the purchase. If you have Covid concerns, that adds another dimension and only you can choose what is acceptable for you.
This is not non-stop. Both ways have 1 stop (in Dublin) for a short layover, which we're okay with. Aer Lingus is the airline. Price is shown through Expedia but also matches within a few dollars if booked direct with Aer Lingus. There's no cancellation of course... which is why I'm trying to decide if I purchase now (there's two of us) and risk losing $1400 if travel isn't opened up by May, or if these prices are pretty standard and I should just wait to purchase.
Time for a risk analysis then. Is the possible price difference between now and say, February, worth the risk of gambling $1400 now? Only you know the answer to that.
Buy directly from the airline!
Don’t buy through a third party like Expedia. Buy direct from airlines, because if you are unable to travel because of the virus it will be a lot easier to get either a refund or a credit for a future flight. I was to travel this past May, I have a credit which is good for two years.
I don't see how this can be bad. Just did a dummy booking on Aerlingus, using Tuesdays in May 2 weeks apart. For that low price you get a 10 kg cabin bag (that's 23 lbs, and 2 kg more than Lufthansa) and a 23 kg checked bag, meal, advance seat selection - and no change fees through Dec 31 this year, in case come the end of this year you decide for safety you want to push the trip to late in 2021. If travel is likely not to be open by May, you would have a good idea if it would be open later on in 2021.
I suspect that if you wish to wait to see what happens, this price will not disappear rapidly as the airlines are desperate to fill seats, and may well be the price you can find for late next year also.
But why on earth would you ever book this with Expedia when you can book for the same price directly with the airline and have the protection of the airline, rather than having to deal with Expedia, should there be any issue? I see you are a brand-new poster here. Spend some time reading through posts regarding third party sites here. There isa consensus they should be avoided like the plague unless there is some overwhelming reason for going there, such as a mixed itinerary between 2 airlines that neither one will sell.
Thank you Larry!
It is not my intention to book through Expedia. I don't know the area so I just use that as my starting point to get some ideas and then go from there out to the main company sites. Maybe there is a better way to do this? I have learned the hard way that bundling car/hotel/flights through a 3rd party site can be a huge pain if anything changes.
Use Google Flights to check on your potential RT. Put in your dates and check the nonstop option.
Searching RT, you can click on dates and get a calendar grid that has departure dates across the top and return dates down the right side. The price is listed where they intersect.
You should see some surprising differences for the combinations. Click on your favorite combo to see what airlines are offering that price. Then you can separately go to check those prices and availability on the airline websites.
There are no nonstops from Tucson to Europe, so I always have to fly somewhere else first. Seattle is my favorite mostly because of the flight path.
Best quick source for flights: Google Flights (flights.google.com, then Bookmark it). It will tell you all the possibilities from the major airlines, but not the budgets, e.g Southwest and other US budgets, Ryanair, EasyJet, etc -you have to go to their sites). And when you select a flight combination, it does not sell it. It tells you where it is sold and for how much, so there is no interest by Google flights in this, it is just compiling everything. It may point out that the ticket can be purchased at some 3rd party sites along with the direct airline sites. It also allows a lot of play with dates and routings. And since it is its own compiler, one need not wory about the urban legend of whether your computer is being identified by cookies to then drive up the price (if this is indeed happening it can be defeated by clearing your cookies and history, which should always be done at least daily for your own privacy and security anyway -why merchants should be allowed to see where you go on your computer is beyond me).
(looks like I type to slowly!)
I see from your other posts that you plan to travel from Scotland to London during your trip. If that is the case, It's best to look into open jaw (also known as multi-city) flights from Seattle to Scotland and returning from London to Seattle. You won't waste any time and money backtracking.
True that, using Are Lingus you could fly to Glasgow through Dublin, and back from London as you had planned, Would add a bit over 30 dollars to the Seattle-London cost. And probably save way more than that in time and backtracking
It is a good price, and I like that the stopover is already in Europe instead of North America.
But it's 10 months off and non-refundable. I have certainly over the years seen similar prices to London, even from Calgary ( if I convert to US dollars). And you have a few options in Seattle in that you could fly from Vancouver too. Personally I would gamble on finding a similar price once things open back up.
Thank you everyone! I appreciate your feedback; all very helpful!
We had non-stop tickets on United from Chicago to London for this past May and paid $350 RT. We now have a credit good for two years.
Kristine, your credit is good to spend within 2 years, but you won’t see anything resembling that price. We snapped up On United open jaw Newark-London, Dublin-Newark for August for $258 each in April, shortly rose to over $600. Flights were cancelled, we took the money back, no sense locking this money into United.
I know. We will most likely use the credit for domestic travel. It's frustrating, but so many things are these days.