Please sign in to post.
Posted by
3857 posts

Our London Walks guide for the Jack the Ripper tour recommended Poppies as the best. We’re planning on going there Thursday to try them out. I’ll report back.

Posted by
1114 posts

fish and chips is often served with malt vinegar. I've always wondered, are we supposed to put it on both the fish and chips or just the fish?

Posted by
1326 posts

I put the malt vinegar on both the fish and the chips, I don’t use ketchup.

I second the recommendation for Poppies. But I also wouldn’t drive myself crazy trying to find ‘the best’

Posted by
332 posts

wondered, are we supposed to put it on both the fish and chips or just the fish?

That’ll be up to you.

Posted by
332 posts

But the brutal truth is it’s almost never actually vinegar.

Posted by
32805 posts

I'm personally a salt and vinegar (equiv.) on the fishie and salt only on the chips. That way my wifie can pinch a few chips which I repay by pinching a little of her kebab meat. Turnabout is fair play, eh?

As hinted above - the vinegar equiv. is a special product which is not vinegar made for the chippies.

So it is perfectly fine to have a bottle of Sarsons at home...

Posted by
1287 posts

Well, it looks like I’m the exception that proves the rule. I prefer haddock over cod - it would seem that this is a ‘northern’ thing, and most northerners would hold that there are very few chippies of merit south of Sheffield (teasing!) - and I never add salt, vinegar or ketchup. No ‘scraps’ either. Mushy peas a ‘must’ though.

Posted by
1943 posts

I love mushy peas! You just have to find a chippy that uses real peas. If they look neon green, they are from a can and not good.

Posted by
1021 posts

I put loads of salt and vinegar all over the chips and the fish. I don’t let them do it in the chippie though. I do it the way I like it at home.

Posted by
11169 posts

Yea, our family’s favorite place made the list! We eat there every time we are in London :
The Laughing Halibut.

Posted by
3772 posts

The SeaShell of Lisson Grove has grilled fish as an option if you don't want the battered & fried fish.
Fish is still yummy!
I love this place.
After your meal, it's an easy walk north to see Abbey Road Studios and Zebra crossing.
The SeaShell is near Marylebone station, easy to find.

Posted by
7569 posts

Two of my favorites in London closed down, that was Hook in Camden Town and Kerbisher & Malt.

But I do encourage people to expand their palette a bit. Skate is delicious and a very interesting texture, and the cod roe is a taste treat.

Posted by
3772 posts

For Charlie:
The Scallop Shell, 22 Monmouth Place, Bath:
https://www.thescallopshell.co.uk/
Great fish and chips, grilled fish if you'd like.
It's a short walk from downtown Bath to the west.

It's not a posh place, but reservations are needed.

Bath is full of great restaurants.

Posted by
27156 posts

I'd suggest a bit of caution for those who don't regularly eat much deep-fried food at home. I really like the idea of fish and chips, but eating much of it definitely doesn't agree with me. It seems I need to limit myself to one deep-fried component at a meal rather than two.

Posted by
101 posts

Yea, our family’s favorite place made the list! We eat there every time we are in London :
The Laughing Halibut.

We ate there last month, purely by chance! We enjoyed it.

I'd wanted to eat at the SeaShell again, since it was close to where we were staying, but it didn't work out this trip.

Posted by
3772 posts

acraven, we don't eat any deep-fried food at home. I know what you mean about the potential for an upset stomach. That's why we were delighted when we found The Seashell with its grilled fish. You don't have to get french fries/chips if you don't want them. They have other options. We don't like fried foods--not heart healthy.
Fortunately, there are lots of restaurants in London that served baked or grilled fish with vegetables. Most of the steak places in London have this option, or a big salad on the menu.