Please sign in to post.

Firsts - where to stay? what to do?

Let me explain - all the RS tours are booked and looking for more local/historical (black frairs, old london)/music history (rock and others) type tours vs. royalty tourist. Any recommends for a good neighborhood and hotel that will make getting to these sites and tours easy? Fine with walking, tubing. 2 adults, going end of Sept/beg. of Oct. with a medium, not 5 star not RS quaint (would like a large bed and ac) hotel.
Getting the tour guideboook but interested in at least booking our flight and hotel sooner than later so it would be helpful to pin down a hotel and neighborhood. All recommends appreciated!

Posted by
15007 posts

Check out Resident Hotels. They offer four star hotels with five star service. Air conditioned, mini-kitchenettes including a Brita Water filter tap, fast wifi, and very clean.

I was told a couple of weeks ago that I hold the record for the most night stayed at the Resident Kensington but they didn't give me a number. I've been staying there for the past seven years.

The other hotel chain to look at is Premier Inn. A discount chain that does it right. Most are Air conditioned, quite, clean and comfortable. I've stayed in many and never had a bad stay.

I also suggest you look at London Walks.

You'll find that London sights are spread out so there is no one neighborhood that is perfect. People will respond with their favorite.

Posted by
876 posts

Although you haven't specifically said it looks like this is just London? For music, both history and the current scene you will find much more in Liverpool and particularly Manchester.

Posted by
13942 posts

What RS tour are you taking? That might give folks a starting point on advice!

Posted by
713 posts

OP, sorry but I'm not sure I understand your reference to all the RS tours being booked. Have you booked some RS tours, or are you not taking them because they're sold out and therefore you're making alternative plans for London? How long are you staying in London?

Frank II, I'm impressed by your record as a guest at the Resident Kensington. I spent about 10 nights there several years ago when it was newly opened, under its original name. I really liked it, and would stay there again - or book into any other of their hotels - in a heartbeat. I've migrated around to other areas of London in subsequent visits, nothing against the Resident hotels, just found bargains, etc., elsewhere.

Posted by
8671 posts

Premier Inns: County Hall, Aldgate, Victoria.

As I’ve been visiting London since 1972 I’ll often opt to stay away from the city center. Neighborhoods like Ealing, Chiswick, Richmond. The PI’s I noted above are in the city center and will provide getting you to what you refer to as “those sites easy.”

The London Underground and Overground as well as buses will get you where you want to go. Just know like any metropolitan city, traffic is abhorrent.

I take a London Walk on each trip. www.walks.com
Always well done. Last trip ( 2022) enjoyed Inns of the Court.

Investigate Ronnie Scotts, Wilton Music Hall, Union Chapel, Wigmore Hall, and Cadogan Hall websites.

Doubt you’ll need AC in September/October.

PS: How is the City By The Bay these days? Its where I grew up when the Santa Clara Valley was called the Valley of Hearts delight…apple, cherry and apricot orchards before IBM arrived and it evolved into Silicon Valley. Nary a fruit tree to be seen now, unless in someone’s back yard.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you all for the assistance! Yes, the RS tours are booked so we are planning this freestyle, and thanks to you all, not on our own. We are thinking 6 nights/5 days and one day is dedicated to Liverpool. Another day could be either Oxford (I am a All Souls trilogy plus fan) or a quaint / old castle town that is easy to get to. Love the Londonwalks recommend, I will look deeper into that. Has anyone tried the London Rock Tours? Info on mudlarking (not sure if that is legal or not these days)?
@ Claudia - my partner and I are both from the Campbell School district area back when there were orchards all around. Now in SF and I think there are more fruit trees here than in San Jose now (many in backyards but still visible).

Posted by
15007 posts

Just confirming.....the RS tours are "full" so you are doing this independently.

Using the term "booked" could mean they are full or that you have signed up for those tours.

Posted by
32757 posts

not to beat a dead horse - going solo is great but you won't be able to cover as much as with a tour.

Have you waitlisted a tour too? They can and do open up when people cancel.

Posted by
5748 posts

Mudlarking is not currently permitted on the Thames.

See the Port of London authority webpage about Thames Foreshore Permits for more details.