Please sign in to post.

First time in London

I'll be in London for 5 days. I have a jam-packed itinerary as I typically don't care to stay in a museum all day. If I have too much on my itinerary, please let me know what I should skip! However, I cannot pass on the CFS, Harry Potter play, and the ballet.

Day 1

opening until 1300 Chelsea Flower Show
Lunch near Belgravia in Bloom
1500 - 1800 Natural History Museum
1800 - 1900 Bike around Hyde Park
dinner in Mayfair

Day 2

900-1200 Tower of London
Lunch at The Shard
Afternoon at Camden Market/Primrose Hill
Dinner/shopping in Shoreditch

Day 3
am British Museum (open to other options)
pm 5.5hr Harry Potter play

Day 4
AM Kew Gardens
back to our hotel in Soho, explore Soho
PM - Ballet at Royal Albert Hall

Day 5
900 - 1200 Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham (outside only)
Lunch
Music festival in Brixton

Posted by
2427 posts

Is Day 1 the day you arrive in London from the US?

Posted by
114 posts

Unless there is a particular reason you want to have lunch at The Shard, I would nix that. After Tower of London, I would walk across Tower Bridge, eat lunch at Borough Market, and then walk along the river for a bit to a tube station and then you could head to Camden Market.

Posted by
114 posts

Also, if you are open to other ideas for Day 3, I really enjoy the Tate Modern. You could go there, walk across the Millennium Bridge, and at least see the outside of St Paul's Cathedral (you could also go in if you wanted).

Another option would be the Portrait Gallery which I think may have re-opened, but you would need to check to make sure.

Posted by
312 posts

I've been to the Chelsea Flower Show a few times, and I've never managed to cover it in just a morning, even though I'm not really much of a garden person. It is often very crowded, which will slow you down. Doing that and the Natural History Museum in one day would make me collapse from exhaustion. Personally I'd skip the museum and take a leisurely walk through Chelsea and Belgravia up to Hyde Park instead.

Incidentally, as a nice alternative to cycling, you can also go horseriding in Hyde Park - Rotten Row is a popular spot for riding. Obviously it depends if you like horses, but if so, check our Hyde Park Stables.

Posted by
5 posts

Mary - No, I arrive the day before so I plan to just take it easy upon arrival.

Thank you Simon & Melissa, all great suggestions!

Posted by
1013 posts

Most people consider CFS a full day out. It’s common to take a picnic or you can buy lunch there. It’s expensive so it wouldn’t normally be something you’d only go to for 2 hours. If you really want to see it I’d suggest allowing a lot more time.

Posted by
4330 posts

You should take the boat from Westminster Pier going to Kew Gardens.

Posted by
8679 posts

Couple of thoughts from a person who has been visiting London since 1972.

When at the Natural History Museum visit their gorgeous cafe. I always get tea and cake.

Instead of lunch at the Shard go into Leaden Hall market.

On Day 3 I’d opt to see the Treasure Room at the British Library instead of the massive British Museum. I’d then leave the library and stroll over to Coal Drop Yards and have lunch at Dishroom. Then walk by the Gas Tower condominiums on the canal tow path heading towards Camden Town and the Old Eagle Pub. Great Guinness pour there.

EDIT: if not a drinker don’t worry about stopping in pubs. Pubs are neighborhood meeting spots. You’ll see grandparents, parents with babies in prams, pub dogs and cats, young children, teens, people in business attire, road-workers in overalls, etc. Can easily get a nice meal without liquor or simply get a soft drink. Some pubs serve coffee, some don’t.

After a morning and afternoon of meandering I’ll pop in a pub for a pint to rest weary lower back and feet. I walk 6-8 miles a day in London. As its usually the Fall months or early December when I travel I love getting a bowl of soup or stew or chowder at pub.

Honestly I still dream of the bowl of sage pumpkin soup I devoured at the Dove Pub in Hammersmith.
So tasty and filling!!!

Posted by
5 posts

Cala - Thank you! I didn't know about that.
Claudia - that sounds more like my cup of tea. Thank you!
Craig - Thank you! I do enjoy the outdoors.