Please sign in to post.

Family Trip spring 2026 Dunkeld + Lake District (Beatrix Potter) + London (take 2, sorta)

Hi all,
First, I really appreciate all the feedback I've already received regading our family trip. I had wanted to put France into our trip but ultimately decided as a family that Paris was really mostly interesting for our oldest child (daughter almost 15 years) so she and I are going to Paris next April. So here is my new thread, requesting help for family trip entirely in the UK. Maximum of 15 days but we are willing to go shorter. Kids will be 16 (girl), 12, 12, (twin boys), 9 (girl).
We are homeschoolers with our curriculum being based on Charlotte Mason's philosophy (who was from Ambleside, which would be a point of interest while we're on the Beatrix Potter touring). But that being said, my children are better versed in UK history than your average American, and we all enjoy history.

Based on the advice I've already received from my previous threads, I am roughly thinking
day 1 . arrive in Edinburgh - be very tired, stay in Edinburgh for city touring the next day
Day 2 - tour Edinburgh based on Rick Steve's guide England + Edinburgh
Day 3 train to Dunkeld for Beatrix Potter touring there, I don't know if we should sleep there or go onto Windemere
*stop at Carlisle castle?
Day 4 - either wake up in Windemere or head there first thing

I have on my list for Lake District : Hill Top House, Armitt (I did email them and they are open before Easter, their website just took down those dates since they've already passed for this year), Wray Castle, Beatrix Potter Walk, Esthwaite Water, Mountain Goat Tour for Beatrix Potter

We can spend several days in the Lake District

Bronte and Wordsworth touring is of interest but not nearly as high on the list as Beatrix Potter, so they are "would be nice" but not essential.

The kids would all love seeing some castles - these have been suggested by is131c

Would Carlisle Castle do you, on the way from the Lake District to Edinburgh?- https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/carlisle-castle

Or Lancaster Castle- https://www.lancastercastle.com/ which is a hop, skip and a jump from Lancaster Railway station, on your way north

Or Brougham Castle just outside Penrith- https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/brougham-castle/

not to forget Penrith Castle straight in front of you as you change from train to bus at Penrith- https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/penrith-castle/ (assuming you stay in Keswick, with your itinerary Windermere/Ambleside/Hawkshead would be the better fit)

Muncaster Castle in West Cumbria, on the edge of the Lake District- https://www.muncaster.co.uk/

There's not much left of it, but also Kendal Castle (Katherine Parr)-https://visit-kendal.co.uk/see-and-do/kendal-castle-and-heritage/kendal-castle/

Sorry this is getting super long

After we're done at Lake District head to London

I don't have the days figured out for that. And I don't want to exhaust everybody, especially with this long of a trip. So I would see the wisdom in having an easy day where we sleep in and just walk around, maybe get ice cream, you know? I want this to be a happy, overall good memories trip, not "mom made us exhausted trying to see every single thing she ever read about."

London high priorities : National Gallery, Westminster Abbey (book earliest possible time, arrive early, Verger tour for Edward the Confessor), British Museum, day trip to Stonehenge. Tower of London. And surely there are many many other things there we would enjoy. Churchill War Rooms walk is very interesting.

I guess I am mostly asking for sequence, we would plan to fly into Edinburgh, fly out of LHR . Home airport is OMA (Omaha, Nebraska) and time budgeting. And if there are suggestions for places to stay , that would be great. I really appreciate all the wisdom represented here!

Posted by
7214 posts

Since the original post it has emerged that Lingholm, at Portinscale near Keswick is yet another significant Beatrix Potter site. Look up their website for further details.

Also the Ees Wyke Country House Hotel at Sawrey turns out to have been another of her pre Hill Top holiday homes.

To avoid luggage wrangling on the Dunkeld day I would stay in Dunkeld that night, or maybe Edinburgh. Then to Windermere next day.

Another conundrum is that by Spring 2026 the proposed new Grand Central trains Stirling to London trains (calling at Carlisle) may have started. Such trains will run direct via Coatbridge, not via Edinburgh or Glasgow.

There is also the chance you may wish to visit Perth Museum to see the collection of her sketches they hold (by prior arrangement).

You've saved me a job of back checking on the Armitt early season opening.

I think it looks like you need 4, even 5 days in the Lake District to achieve what you want, at a sensible pace.

Posted by
40 posts

Thank you! I'm definitely willing to have 5 days in the Lake District. I wonder if it'll be enough for us to just go to London after that and sleep there the rest of the trip, with a day trip to Stonehenge. I am trying to balance making the most of our big trip over there vs wearing everyone one. There are just so many great things to see.

Posted by
106 posts

Hi! :-)

IMHO, your Edinburgh/Lake District plans sound solid, and you will have enough time.

Just reading your “high priorities” list for London (you say you have one day? or am I misunderstanding?) left me exhausted. And I live in London. :-)

If you have one day in London before flying home I would definitely opt for a “wind-down” day featuring one (or max of 2) main attractions, and then just enjoy a mooch around. Choose a fun neighbourhood - with kids, maybe Camden Town or Covent Garden and environs - and have an ice cream, or go for tea, or visit a good chippie, and then walk along the Thames, enjoy the vibe, etc. I think kids of the ages you list might be struggling with sensory overload by then, and trying to cram jam everything you can think of into your last London day won’t really be much fun.

If you have more than one day, I apologise for misunderstanding!

Also, FWIW, there are a couple of useful maxims for European travel.

One is Rick’s: assume you will be back.

One is mine: see a little less, enjoy a little more.

Of course you know best for your family. Happy travels!

Posted by
40 posts

I don't have London all time budgeted out, but we want to stay a max of 15 nights in the UK. So I would say up to 6 or 7 nights in London. And one day would definitely be devoted to a day trip to Stonehenge, because that's been on my one son's list since he was a pre-schooler.

I've seen Cotswolds mentioned on several lists. Would that be worth a couple of days ?

Posted by
4536 posts

I don't think your children would find the Cotswolds very interesting. There are so many great things for them to enjoy in London that you want to spend as much time there as possible. Have you looked at London Walks to see if any of their walks appeal to your children?

Posted by
106 posts

Agree with cala - kids and the Cotswolds are not a natural mix, I don’t think. The Cotswolds are GORGEOUS, but it’s cottages, cute villages, tea rooms, sedate walks, dreamy scenery… not much to “grab” kids.

In London, there are museums galore that would be good for kids, along with walking tours, food adventures, etc. The Museum of London has cool, kid friendly sections on Viking London and the Great Fire. The Natural History and Science museums are always crawling with kids, because they are so awesome. The British Museum’s mummy collection is kid heaven.

Stonehenge? Yes - excellent day trip.

Or consider York for a day, where the Jorvik Viking Center has really gnarly/cool Viking stuff that is perfect for pre-teens and teens. They’ll have fun and learn loads.

A day in Brighton is also a great choice for families with kids, and usually takes under 90 minutes to get to by train. Check out the beach, the Palace Pier, the rides, the decadent treats (ice cream and candy and all sorts of yummy bad-for-you stuff) as well as the Royal Pavilion. It is quintessential British seaside fun.

I also stand by my suggestion of Camden Town and the Stables Market: fun, young vibe, funky, with lots of inexpensive tat, tons of really tasty food options, a canal to stroll along, crazy storefronts, and more. A lot of eye-popping delights for children. Touristy? YES. Fun? Also YES.

Posted by
40 posts

Thank you cala and Volva. I looked at a Walking tour of Westminster Abbey, and I know someone here posted a Churchill walk (he's my oldest's favorite historian/author of her favorite history books. I honestly don't know how he found time to do all he did).
I looked at my notebook and here's what I have written for London

London wall
Westminster Abbey - Verger tour for Edward the Coffesor
Thames river cruise
National Gallery
Victoria and Albert Museum
Tower Bridge
Winston Churchill and London in WWII tour
Science Museum
Windsor
If there's anything Charles Dickens related we could catch, I believe that would be of interest to us all
Or, JRR Tolkein

I will look into Brighton and the other suggestions, thank you!

Posted by
7214 posts

This post is fast becoming a primer for all things Beatrix Potter. I have just been told (by another member of this forum) about Gaddums tearoom at Brockhole. Being local it's not the sort of place I would go to. But apparently they do a pretty good afternoon tea,

Apparently the Gaddums (German immigrants via Trieste) built Brockhole (from money made in the Manchester cotton industry) and were related, as cousins, to Beatrix Potter. https://www.cumbrianlives.org.uk/lives/william-h-a-gaddum.html

So maybe another place to add to your burgeoning list.

Posted by
1009 posts

I am planning a Lake District trip for myself so am quite interested in your post! I don't know if any of my research "tidbits" are useful, but I'll share what I'm finding.

I'm wondering what month your family trip is and your connecting airport from OMA? I had hoped for a United non-stop to Edinburgh from Chicago, but those flights are seasonal, May - September so won't help me.

I've been searching hotels in Windermere with easy access to the station as I don't plan to rent a car. I'm finding primarily small inns and guesthouses. With a large family group, I'm wondering if a quick search of the Lake District area for lodging possibilities might help determine where to stay or to base yourselves. Of course, if you rent a car, you've eliminated my problem of proximity. Edit - my personal preferences are showing. It just occurred to me that many like to rent Air BnBs or self-catering places - you may not be thinking of "hotel" which is what I search for, so my thought may be irrelevant to your needs and travel preferences.

There is a tour group that has a Bronte specific tours - English Lake Tours. I have not taken their tour, but had scheduled this tour that was then canceled due to Covid lockdowns. Very professional company, no problem getting my refund, they reached out to me. This company and others also have bespoke tours - for myself and companion booking a scheduled tour is cheaper, but I wonder about your family group if a personally designed tour might be a possible money saver?

Wordsworth I will do on the public transport out of Windermere. I'm also thinking 5 nights so I can have time to get around the region to my favored sites.

I am adding your castle research to my planning research! Thank you for the websites!!

London is going to be easy for you after all the other planning and transport!!! Personally, unless very very important to someone in the family group, I would forgo the Stonehenge visit. Lots to see in London and Stonehenge is so touristy popular that it can be disappointing. (not everyone agrees with that assessment!) You've got a great list in your "high priorities" above of London sights (in my opinion). You almost can't go wrong there.

edit - adding - there is a Dickens House in London https://dickensmuseum.com . I visited it (finally) last year on my umpteenth stay in London. I would say it isn't really a must-see, that the other sites you've identified are more interesting. But, you can make that decision based on your interests!

Thanks for sharing your planning thoughts - I hope something in my research notes might help you!

Posted by
40 posts

Thank you for the additional Beatrix Potter idea!

Stonehenge is not getting cut out. It's been on my one son's list since he was a preschooler, maybe 4 years old? We have a sort of funny Nebraska version of it in Alliance, call Carhenge , which are cars stacked up like stonehenge and we had to stop there on another family trip for this son and it's on #1 on his list of things he wants to see (why, I don't know, but it is what it is, even if it's not my #1 thing).

Dates are not set in stone but likely early April/late March/home before Easter.

Oh, thank you for the Dickens idea! We all love him. I will look at all these more carefully. I don't know where layover would be. I am not tied to any specific airline. We used American to get to Rome this year and it was OK. Layover in Chicago on the way there and Dallas Fort Worth on the way home. We don't plan on renting a car.

Posted by
1009 posts

Definitely keep Stonehenge with that kind of enthusiasm! There are many day trips from London so that won't take the planning angst of some of the other areas. It is one of those sights that is nice to have experienced personally.