Please sign in to post.

Eurostar questions

How soon do we need to be at the station prior to departure? Do we need to check in early like you do for flights? Thanks for your help! We have never traveled by train before.

Posted by
1175 posts

For your first time you need to arrive at Gare du Nord probably an hour beforehand so you can find your way to the Eurostar area. Gare du Nord is a large station but there are plenty of signs. You will not be allowed up the stairs to the Eurostar departure lounge until 20 minutes or so prior to departure. You will go through British immigration there if you are traveling to London. Hopefully you have your tickets well in hand since they go on sale 6 months prior to departure date and are quite inexpensive. They get very expensive the closer to the departure date. You will be required to complete an immigration form, which are located on the stand-up desks, prior to passing through immigration Best to have your own pen since they are seldom available. Many first time travelers fail to do so and they have to return to the end of the line. Traveling by Eurostar is a delight. We sometimes like to take along a few snacks or sometimes enjoy a small bottle of wine, all available at Gare du Nord shops.

Posted by
5330 posts

I'd allow rather more than the minimum at present at St Pancras as the exit passport checks can cause a backlog at times.

Posted by
11294 posts

I know you didn't ask about other trains, but just in case you're taking others besides the Eurostar, note that the procedures for the Eurostar are unusual. For most trains, there's no check in, passport control, or security (even for international trains). You just need to be in the station with enough time to find your track and get on the train before it leaves. (Just like in the movies, you can jump on the train just before they close the doors, and still be fine - if you like to live dangerously). If you're not familiar with a station, allow 10-20 minutes (more at larger stations). If you will want to use the bathroom, buy a magazine, get some food, etc, allow more time.

Rick's video with train basics is here: http://tinyurl.com/ac82c92

Posted by
4684 posts

Eurostar have recently increased their recommended minimum arrival time to one hour before departure rather than 30 minutes, apparently due to more stringent checking by the French immigration authorities.

Posted by
13966 posts

Thanks Phillip, for that update on the time frame for check-in.

Posted by
67 posts

We took Eurostar from Paris to London and got there only about 30 min before departure due to connection issues and we had to rush through immigration and security. It was stressful! We got on the train about five min before it left. So if they tell you to be there 1 hour before departure, be there 1 hour before departure. It was not like this on any other trains.

Jenny

Posted by
32809 posts

A couple of weeks ago I saw a Eurostar queue longer than I ever have done before at St Pancras - snaking around the main concourse and back several times.

No, it wasn't a day with particular disruption nor a day following one.

As far as I have seen the 30-45 minute after check in is lost in the mists of pre-history now.

I would always allow at least an hour.

The question is not clear about which direction the poster is going, or if it is a return or single, other than the fact that it is posted in England - but we know that is no proof of desire.

The queues have been building in Paris at Gare du Nord for the Eurostar in the opposite direction. I hate getting upstairs and being greeted the crowds there. I always allow a minimum of 75 minutes there, usually 90.