Please sign in to post.

Eurostar

Is there only one station in London and one station in Paris that the Eurostar goes to ? Do I need to reserve a seat? Is there any tips or that I need to know in booking it? i didn't realize that the prices changed so dramatically. I thought it was relatively stable. I just went onto the website and got sticker shock.There are four of us traveling together. Two are Seniors.

Posted by
11294 posts

"i didn't realize that the prices changed so dramatically. I thought it was relatively stable. "

Trains on this route start out very affordable, if you buy far in advance and get non-refundable and non-exchangeable tickets. If these tickets have sold out and/or if you need more flexibility, the price goes up - drastically if you wait until just before travel.

What are your travel dates?

As Jazz said, sometimes flights are cheaper, but remember you have to add the cost of getting to and from the airports at each end, as well as the time it takes. If cost is the most important factor for you and you have lots of time, buses are the cheapest and slowest way between London and Paris.

Posted by
72 posts

The first rule of travel: “book as early as you can for the travel bits.” Whether it’s getting a cheaper airfare or long train journey, it’s as true now as it has always been.

My wife and I are in London now (the Visa Card problems yesterday didn’t inconvenience us too much ...rule two is “always have more than one way to pay for things”), staying just half a block from the Euston Road across from Kings Cross and St Pancras, and are going to Paris on Tuesday. We booked our Standard Premier tickets a couple of months ago when they were $128 each (the plain Standard tickets were $121) and the website said there were only 6 left at that price. Doing so means we got the seats we wanted: both facing forwards at a table. We’ve seen the prices go through its upward trajectory as others booked their tickets since then ...Standard is now $217 and will soon be $275, and our tickets have reached their maximum at $355.

A lesson learned for another time.