Please sign in to post.

europe

I want to take my children and arrive in England, Oslo, Italy, Rhine river castles, France and maybe depart from Amsterdam or Paris or England. I have a young girl 14 who is traveling with me, so I am departing Washington dc area to, do you guys recommend arriving in France or England or start at the top Oslo and down to Italy, then France? I would like to do all this in two weeks time. You think rail pass? I am trying to save money of course because of the expense. Untours? I am open to any ideas? I hope to do this in Aug. 2017

Posted by
380 posts

First of all, for some reason I'm getting heavy Humbert vibes off of this, but maybe I just read too many novels.

No, you cannot do all that, with kids, in two weeks. Pick three cities with reasonable transportation between them. It's also very short notice to book something like this, it's going to cost you at least twice as much as it would if you'd booked a few months out.

Please bear in mind what kids like and appreciate is very different than what adults like and appreciate. Kids gotta kid. I have two very smart, hyperliterate, history nerd teen boys and I would not attempt to take them on this trip. In two weeks, we'd do something with a theme, like visit key WWI or WWII historic sites on a path between two cities, to/from which we'd have booked open-jaw flights. So maybe Vienna, Berlin, Paris. Or heck, my old favorite Nurnberg.

If your kids like, say, animals, pick three cities with stellar natural history museums or zoos, etc. Ymmv.

From what you've said, you could do Oslo, Copenhagen, Amsterdam. That's a trip.

Posted by
16893 posts

I advise you to plan out the trip before you look at rail passes. That may help you to choose a cheaper pass option (for fewer travel days or fewer countries) versus a 15-day continuous Eurail Global pass (almost $600 per person in 1st class). How many people are traveling?

You can't easily get to all those destinations by train within two weeks. Oslo is obviously the furthest away from the others, practically requiring you to fly, so either start there and then fly south or skip it.

Looking Up Train Schedules and Routes Online gives you the Deutsche Bahn train schedule link and tips for using it. Rick’s Train Travel Time & cost Map gives you a quick overview of faster train travel times in hours, as well as regular (full-price) 2nd-class fares. For flight options, try www.skyscanner.com.

You may also like the convenience of a guided Rick Steves Tour. These multi-country route options have space available for dates in August:

Posted by
11177 posts

""I hope to do this in Aug. 2017""

Did you mean to say 2018?.... If saving money is critical, buying airfare this close to your travel may be unfriendly to your budget.

Do you plan to see anything or just get as many places as possible in 2 weeks?

You really need to research what you want to do/see at each of your destinations and then pare it down to 2 or 3 destination to make it manageable and worth the bother of going.

Posted by
4845 posts

I thought the poster might have meant Unitours. But they specialize in Catholic pilgrimage tours - not something I would think to do with children.

Given that the OP doesn't really know where he/she wants to go or what they want to see or do; given that they are on a budget; and has less than a month to get all the ducks in a row, perhaps planning for August 2018 might be a much better idea.

Posted by
3098 posts

Untours is a tour company that offers self-catering one-or two- week stays in one place, generally a chalet or apartment, often with a car for touring the area. Totally inappropriate for travel from Oslo down to Italy.

http://www.untours.com

I agree with astorienne's first comment---weird vibe, especially given the provocative screen name for this one-time poster.

Posted by
8663 posts

Ditto Astorienne and Sasha's opinions, especially the posters choice of email name.

If a true inquiry seeking assistance my recommendation is look at a map, see the distances. Cannot see all what you've mentioned in 2 weeks time. You also need understand for a trip next month you should have started to plan it in January.

Posted by
887 posts

Are you travelling with multiple children "I want to take my children...." or one teenager "I have a young girl 14 who is....". That can make a difference. What draws you to Oslo? Italy? Where in Italy. A Rhine river cruise? Or driving down the Rhine stopping at places? Is the child ( children) interested in seeing lots of castles? Then throwing England and France into the mix. This is sounding more and more like a mini Amazing Race!

Suggestions. Get a map of Europe and become familiar with its countries and major travel routes. Get a decent guide book to Europe for the same reason. Get the information on trains as suggested above and see how long it takes you to get by rail from one place to another. If Oslo is a must do, look at flying in there and home from your last destination (Rome). Bet Norwegian flies from somewhere around NYC and I would guess it goes to Oslo?