Please sign in to post.

England for Thanksgiving Week 2018

My husband will be in Dublin the week before Thanksgiving and my son (13 yrs old) and I thought we would join him in Europe to spend the Thanksgiving week vacation. We are considering London and surrounding areas but unsure about the weather. We live in Boulder, CO where winters are cold but air is very dry (damp and wet makes everything worse). Also - are many things closed during that time of year? We love the outdoors and out of the way, charming places but I am recovering from knee issues so stairs and hiking are difficult. Short walks should be ok and we can always stop in a pub for a quick break. Any suggestions? It's a last minute trip so I enlisted a Travel Advisor to help out with trip planning and bookings but would love more advice!

Posted by
6113 posts

If you just have a week, you could stay just in London. You don’t say what your interests are. Possible day trips to Hampton Court or Bath or York (better with an overnight stay).

Daylight hours will be short at that time of year. It’s not the best time for the countryside as there won’t be much colour left in the gardens.

Nothing will be closed as 10 million people live in London.

Posted by
3428 posts

We used to go the UK and/or Europe every year the week after Thanksgiving. We felt that it was and excellent time to travel there. Crowds were definitely less. London is a great city to make your base and do a few day trips by train. You really don't need a Travel Agent. Plenty to see and do just in the city itself- great theatre, excellent (mostly free) museums of all kinds, lovely gardens (Kew Gardens is marvelous any time of year), wonderful churches, and plenty of historical sites from pre-Roman days to WWI and WWII. Easy day trips by train include Windsor (can be a full or 1/2 day), Bath, Cardiff Wales, Canterbury, Dover, Winchester, Stratford-upon-Avon, and many more. Get Oyster cards for each of you or get an Oyster for your son and the 7 day travel passes issues by the British Rail system that allow the 2-for-1 entry to many sites.

We live in Charlotte NC and found the weather in London to similar to our weather most of the time. It is a coastal area, so it will be a bit damp. Wet just depends. But Rick (and the British) say that there isn't bad weather, just bad clothing choices (LOL). Plan on Warm pants and take tops you can layer (I usually took 1 short sleeve T, 2-3 long sleeve Ts or mock turtlenecks, 1 or 2 long sleeve button up shirts and either a sweater 9 could sub a fleece vest) or blazer type jacket. I could layer any combination under my water proof, hooded, winter coat and be plenty warm. I took good gloves and a hooded knit scarf in case it got windy or really cold (seldom did).

Feel free to contact me by private message if you have more questions. (We did more than 40 trips that included London over a period of about 20 years, but had to stop our international travel about 8-10 years ago).

Posted by
1274 posts

Hello -

One of the penalties of living on an island (and in comparison with the size of the USA, a tiny island at that) is that the air is comparatively damp. A long time ago I worked with an American who had served in the military in Europe and who had settled in the UK. He said he never got used to the cold here because of the damp - temperatures could be much lower in continental Europe but he never felt as cold as he did over here.

That said, and as Mr Steves has noted, the problem is never the weather, it is the wrong clothes. I would be prepared to layer up and ensure you have sensible footwear and a top layer that is both waterproof and windproof. Hats and gloves might be in order too, but obviously all those extra bits you can pick up over here, if needed, especially in November!

Daylight will be at a premium then, but on the plus side, London will be gearing up for Christmas and will be lit up accordingly. And there's no better, atmospheric, time to visit Westminster Abbey on its late evening opening when it's dark outside. Personally I love to walk along the south bank of the Thames, great views and always interesting. There may be some places that are closed or have reduced opening hours, but I can't believe there will be that many places that you won't be able to visit. With all of London to go at there will still be plenty to do. For instance, The Globe Theatre will not be open but the adjoining Sam Wanamaker Theatre which is indoors and a period delight, lit by candles when we visited, will be and may be worth visiting to see whatever is playing (an Internet search will advise).

Thanksgiving may be given a polite acknowledgement in the media, but don't expect it to be widely celebrated. I'm prepared to believe that over half the population in the UK have no idea what or when it is! That said, there may be the odd US enclave somewhere that celebrates no matter what!

Wrap up warm and have a great trip!

Ian

PS Despite my dire warnings of Arctic conditions, the weather may confound me - as it usually does! - and be unseasonably balmy while you are here, as is sometimes the case. That said, better to be safe than sorry!

Posted by
4256 posts

I agree with the idea of spending the week in London. If the weather is good, I would at least day trip to York. Since I don't like cold weather, I would not go there or Cardiff(because the best thing there is St. Fagan's outdoor park) in November unless it is unseasonably warm. Paris would also be good.

Posted by
3985 posts

I used to go with one of my girlfriends to London for Thanksgiving week and LOVED IT. London can be decorated for Advent/Christmas seasons. We went to theatre every night. You all might want to see Windsor Castle, the Tower of London, the Museum of Natural History, Museum of London -- whatever things might interest your son. London is great at the end of November. It's not much different from NYC in terms of dampness.

That said, if you really believe that dampness "makes things worse", don't go to England. Why make yourselves miserable?

One of the penalties of living on an island (and in comparison with
the size of the USA, a tiny island at that) is that the air is
comparatively damp.

Not just in the UK. We live in the US AND on an island -- the island of Manhattan. The only time the damp weather is a "penalty" is during the summer when the heat and humidity are in full force. The three other seasons make up for summer however.

Posted by
8570 posts

I’m in London virtually every November. Fewer hordes. Weather isn’t dismal, colder than LA but I enjoy the change in weather. You’ll find loads to see and do depending on your interests.

You’ll also discover that Christmas lights will most likely be up. You should check the dates of the Hyde Park Winter Wonderlandas well.

Thanksgiving is an American traditional holiday nothing to do with the U.K.. As London is a popular American tourist destination over the past decade some restaurants have begun to offer Thanksgiving dinner. See if the Pret a Mangers are offering the Turkey, stuffing and cranberry sandwiches.

London has gorgeous parks to enjoy. It’s a nice stroll
From the Lancaster Gate tube station into Hyde Park past the Italian Gardens along the Serpentine to the Lido Cafe. You’ll pass the Peter Pan statue enroute. The cafe is close to the serene Princess Diana Memorial Fountain.

Parks in London are filled with waterfowl, walkers and their dogs, mothers with prams, squirrels, and well marked paths. From the Lido Cafe you can walk over to where the Horse Guards practice their formations.

The street markets are fun and if looking you should be able to buy stocking gifts and or Xmas ornaments.

Look at TIMEOUT London on line. There will be listings for theatre, music, museums, galleries, etc.

3 years ago in late November except for one group of school children had Hampton Court to myself.

Dress in layers and have a wonderful trip. My favorite time to visit. Enjoy!

You may be amused or horrified to discover that although the UK doesn’t celebrate Thanksgiving, retailers have recently embraced Black Friday (the Friday after Thanksgiving) in a big way. Which is baffling to me, but anyway.

Late November means Britain is very much gearing up to Christmas and the Christmas lights will be on already in big shopping streets like Oxford St & Regent St, which is fun to see. And check out Christmas window displays in Selfridges, if that’s your kind of thing.

Posted by
5239 posts

retailers have recently embraced Black Friday (the Friday after Thanksgiving) in a big way. Which is baffling to me, but anyway.

Because they've seen an opportunity to make money. Very few people understand the significance of Black Friday but a big sale will always grab their attention.

Posted by
1274 posts

Hi all -

Thanks for the information on Thanksgiving in London. I can assure you it barely registers in Yorkshire! Also if travelling to York for the day - and obviously I would recommend that! - be warned that as a general rule York will be at least a couple of degrees cooler than than the temperature in London. I know the distance is comparatively negligible, but it does appear to be the norm!

Ian

Posted by
4684 posts

The turkey sandwiches in Pret a Manger aren't because of US Thanksgiving, they're because the UK shops and restaurants start selling Christmas stuff that early.

Posted by
8570 posts

I know that about the sandwiches Phillip.

Merely suggesting they should look for those Turkey sandwiches in the Pret a Mangers. Meant they would remind them of what we yanks traditionally serve for Thanksgiving.

Posted by
2773 posts

I would suggest following Claudia’s advice, she’s always gives excellent suggestions.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you all for your great advice and suggestions! It's settled, we'll go! Since we only have 6 days/7 nights, we'll plan to stay in London and do some day excursions or possibly stay at a B&B at one of the quaint towns (Bath, The Cotswalds, Windsor...) for a night or two. I definitely want to see Stonehenge. Would love to hear more suggestions and advice! Some travel advice I was given is to come back to London at night since there will be more to do at night there vs a smaller town and to do a tour or rail (rather than car) so that we won't need to drive back in the dark.

I completely forgot that my son's birthday is on the 19th and he'll be turning 14. An suggestions for fun things to do for a teenager? He's a rock climber (we live in Boulder afterall :) ) as well as sax and piano (jazz) player.

Please keep responding! So glad I stumbled onto this forum :)

Posted by
8377 posts

Bath is a city, not a small town, so there is plenty to do and see there. From Bath, we used Mad Max tours to see Stonehenge and some of the closest Cotswold villages there. Do a Search on Mad Max here (gray box, top of page) and you'll see other recommendations.

Posted by
8570 posts

Thank you Robin Z. Very kind.

Try London walks....www.walks.com...excellent.

Check out their schedules for the days you will be in London.

Advice for this first trip. Stay in London and do day trips.

Honestly, I’ve been going to London since 1972.
Always changing yet always the same. So much to see and do. I promise none of you will bored!

Use the 2 for 1 deals, get Oyster cards when you’re there, pre book Churchill War Rooms and remember days are shorter at that time of the year so plan your days accordingly.

Posted by
4256 posts

If the weather isn't too unpleasant, your son and husband could walk the city walls at York while you stroll in the shambles.

Posted by
591 posts

You wrote: "Any suggestions for fun things to do for a teenager?"

You son is old enough to help with the planning. I suggest you put him in charge of one day and let him figure out what to see and where to eat. We discovered this concept in Cynthia Harriman's book "Take Your Kids to Europe" and have used it ever since.

Start by letting him know what is planned for the other days and whether he has a budget or other limitations. In addition to more obvious choices my sons have chosen the tank museum in Bovington (a long train ride so it's a full day) and the RAF museum in Colindale.

And these threads may be helpful:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/england/spring-break-grandson-first-trip-london
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/england/lodnon
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/10-days-in-london-with-tween-boys.
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/england/london-accommodations-for-family-of-4

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks all for your suggestion! It seems most of you recommend staying in London the whole time. It was suggested that we considering spending 2 nights in York for a different experience and would like to get your opinion.

We'll arrive either Fri or Saturday, Nov 17 or 18 and stay in London. Then on Tues, Nov 21, take 2 hr rail to York and stay somewhere interesting and spend two nights in York. We'll take the midday rail back to London on Thurs, stay in London and catch our flight home midday Friday. It's our first time in London so not sure what to do, given this colder time of year. We do like to linger and take things in so not sure if this might be too much moving around.

If we do decide to stay overnight in York, would you recommend that we stay directly in town so that it's easier to walk in cold weather to sites? Or is it pleasant enough to stay at a B&B - several nice ones are about 20 min walk from town. Also - are Ubers plentiful that time of year if we want to catch a ride (for instance we get caught in a storm. Would be nice to avoid renting a car. Thanks all!

Posted by
1274 posts

York as a city isn't enormous and the walled area is comparatively small. So if you stay without the walls it's not usually a huge trek to get back into the walled centre.

As a matter of interest, whereabouts are the B&Bs you are considering? There are several small (ish) hotels on the old A19 road behind the Minster that might fit the bill. There's a newish Ibis hotel (relatively cheap, but usually basic) a couple of hundred yards outside of Micklegate Bar (Bar in this case meaning gate) which also might fit the bill.

Plenty to do in York for a couple of days. The Minster (check to see when Evensong or pre Christmas services are on - there may be carols!), the Shambles will occupy ten minutes of your time maximum, walk the walls (can be closed if icy, doesn't usually last long), the Railway Museum, (there are plenty of other wonderful museums throughout the city) and if the weather isn't kind and if it is your sort of thing a 'tasting session' at the York Brewery is great fun (it's only a boozy do if you decide to make a day of it!), the Guildhall is worth a look if it is open, and a visit to Betty's for tea (or coffee if you are not into tea, but I've always believed 'when in Rome') and cakes is almost compulsory (there are two and I prefer the smaller 'Little Betty's' on Stonegate) and any number of pubs - we visited the newer, bigger branch of The House of Tembling Madness (there are two, the smaller original is near Little Betty's) recently and thought it was pretty good! That's to name but a few. And there are day trips out into the surrounding countryside which you can book from the Tourist Information Centre - you'd need to check what was still running in the later months of the year due to the daylight not being over long and weather conditions etc.

Hope you have a great trip!

Ian

Posted by
891 posts

When my son was that age, he really enjoyed the Tower of London, especially the Changing of the Keys ceremony late at night. Also Churchills War Rooms and anything having to do with WWII. We went to 2 plays that the boys picked out, bought same day tickets and had a great time. They did like Bath and Stonehenge, also.

Have a great time and I hope you get good weather!
Mimi

Posted by
10 posts

Hello Ian!
I booked a room at Moorgarth Guest House at 158 Fulford Road, York, YO10 4DA (its a 1 min walk to the Howard Street bus stop, 10 min walk to York Castle Wall and York Castle Museum). It's 2 nights (Nov 21 - 23) for 180 euros including breakfast. Not sure what the normal rate is but that seems like a good deal! There is free cancelation. I'm continuing to browse for a better location. We'll be coming from London on rail so it may be good to stay nearby since we'll also be catching the rail back to London, stay a night, and fly back to US the next day. Any suggestions would be helpful!
Thanks all for the great recommendations!
Cher

Posted by
32517 posts

It may be Pounds £ not Euro €.

If you can get it in Euro (not normally in York) it will be cheaper than the same number of Pounds.

Posted by
1274 posts

Hi Cher -

The Moorgarth looks fine for your purposes, although I'm not overly familiar with that area, there are some big old Edwardian/Victorian terraced houses around there and it may be one of those. From where it is located I'd be tempted to drop down whichever side street leads you down to the river and walk along the footpath into the centre.

I have friends who live in Woodsmill Quay, Skeldergate. As you approach Kings Staithe along the river you'll see it on the opposite bank. Striking up right from the bridge just beyond will take you up into the centre.

One thing I forgot to mention is that you can do an unusual walk round and through York by buying a book (or maybe borrowing a copy from your B&B) when you get there called 'The Snickleways of York', a 'snickleway' being a back alley or very narrow street. Some of these are very old and it shows you a part of the city you wouldn't normally see. We've done it and it took us a couple of hours to link them all up - we didn't pause anywhere and we travelled quite quickly, but a more sedate pace might take half a day if you have it to spare!

You might want to get to your B&B by taxi on arrival and then when a little more familiar with the layout of the place and the distances involved decide whether it's walkable to the station, especially with your luggage (a doddle if sticking with Rick Steves 'carry on' sized luggage) on the day of your return to London.

Trust you'll have a great trip and I hope that the weather is kind to you!

Ian

Posted by
10 posts

Ian - thank you for the wonderful tips and suggestions! I'll be sure to pick up a copy of the book. It's exactly the type of exploration that we love to do. I see too that there is even a website: http://snickelways.co.uk

It seems I'm going against everyone's advice and leaving London so hope it turns out alright! My Travel Advisor booked us a ticket for the Hop-on Hop-On which is garishly touristy but would help us get an overview of the town and a plus if the weather is unpleasant. BTW - it is currently 35 degrees F and snowing in Boulder. BRRRRR.

Oh darn! It's pounds

Yes, it’s important to note that we don’t use euros in the UK. I note your husband will be in Dublin beforehand, where the euro IS the currency, but you’ll need pounds for the UK.

Posted by
116 posts

I really wouldn’t bother with the HOHO Bus. The majority of the tourist sites are within the city walls which is largely pedestrianised so the buses will just go round the outside of the city so you won’t see much.apart from peering over the walls at the tops of buildings. Much better probs to do a walking tour. York is very compact so you can easily walk from one side to the other (walmgate bar to minstergate say) in about half an hour.
Fulford Road is on the East side of the city outside the walls and if owners say it’s 10 mins to castle museum , which would be your first tourist thing to hit (unless you like bingo!) , I would imagine a 30-40 min walk to station.
You can walk along the river into town as previously suggested from the side streets off Fulford Road (check for flooding!).
St Nicks Christmas market should have started and maybe the ice rink at the designer outlet.
What does your son like to do?