Please sign in to post.

England

Is it worthwhile to purchase an English Heritage Pass if you are going to visit several castles?
Has anyone used this? Thanks

Posted by
358 posts

It's aways worth buying a pass as they do excellent work to protect a huge number of sites.

But if you mean in purely financial terms, it's just a matter of totting it up.

I first joined when visiting Housesteads Fort on Hadrian's Wall in the mid 90s and got my membership fee back in a week.

Posted by
27644 posts

Country-wide and regional passes are often a very good deal, but in the UK I think it matters whether you'll have a rental car or will be depending on public transportation. A lot of the castles and stately homes are awkward/slow to reach without a car of your own, making it more of a challenge to get a lot of use from a pass. This is a general comment, not based on personal experience, because I decided a pass in England and/or Scotland wouldn't pay off for me.

Posted by
2212 posts

You have to do the maths... A lot depends on what places you are intending to visit and how much they cost compared with the cost of the pass.

Posted by
7629 posts

I agree that you should add it all up and see if it's worth it, but I will say that I'm always included to go for passes like that. When I was in Scotland, I bought an annual pass from Historic Scotland, which enabled me to see many attractions. I'm not sure if I broke even as I did not do the math, but for me it was worth it because I felt like I was contributing to a very worthwhile cause.

I did the same thing when I first went to England and bought a yearly membership to the National Trust. These are the organizations that keep these incredible sights in good shape and ready for visitors like us to see and enjoy. I can't praise them highly enough, and feel that a membership is a good way to show my appreciation.

Every time I went to a sight and used my membership card, the staff were thrilled that I had bought one and thanked me profusely.