Please sign in to post.

Easter weekend

I'll be in London over Easter weekend, including Good Friday and Easter Monday. I believe both of those are considered public holidays. What should I expect in terms of closures or limited hours for museums, public buildings, shops, and transportation? Thanks!

Posted by
2779 posts

The larger shops will be closed on Easter Sunday. Most attractions will keep their regular hours. There may be reduced tube services over the weekend due to repairs, etc., it looks like the only tube line that it effects will be the Metropolitan Line.

Posted by
5333 posts

Worth me I think clarifying that closures of large shops is by law, not by choice, so there won't be any exceptions.

There used to be special restrictions of the sale of alcohol on some days of Easter - these have all gone in England.

Posted by
344 posts

Best to look at each museum/historic site's website re: hours on specific days. Almost each one has a tab for opening hours or holiday hours. You could delegate this task to your teenagers.

For transit (bus tube) go to tlf.gov.uk.

Not sure: You might want to think about what you want to do for dinner on Good Friday or Easter Sunday and make a reservation. ?

Posted by
13 posts

I am also looking for advice on traveling in England over Easter Weekend. I fly into Heathrow right before the weekend and was thinking it would be wise to get out of London and go somewhere by train. I am concerned with picking up a car and driving over the weekend as it will be my first time driving in Great Britain and I would like to adjust without a lot of traffic. So which direction would be a good place to explore over an Easter weekend (only using public transportation)? York? Bath? Cardiff, Wales? Edinburgh?
Or is it best to start with London over Easter weekend rather than saving London for the end of the trip as Rick Steves suggests?

Stay in London when you arrive. Please don't leap into a car & attempt to drive, especially on a holiday weekend. Additionally you may find public transport has engineering work or limited schedules.

I literally cannot understand RS's advice not to start in London, as if it's something you have to build up to.

Posted by
5333 posts

Peaks on travel from London on Easter now peaks on Maundy Thursday but there will still be plenty heading off on Good Friday.

You haven't really experienced a packed British train if you have never tried to travel towards Cornwall, or even South Wales out of Paddington on a Bank Holiday weekend. Not that I would recommend you to.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you so much for your advice! I have worked my itinerary around and around, but never with the thought of staying in London once I arrive on Maudy Thursday. I just had it in my head that I had to get on a train and head somewhere right away. I just kept running into the Easter weekend roadblock (in terms of transportation and housing) no matter what I planned. I will reconfigure and see what I come up with now.

Posted by
1070 posts

" I would like to adjust without a lot of traffic. "

With over 40 million vehicles on a small island, the only time that used to happen is Christmas Day but in the past few years I've noticed that this is no longer the case.